• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... above all things be glad and young

well ALyn will do waht he does - play requests

JLU meanwhile reprises the very excellent Young Musician Jazz Award .... do not miss these young artists they are well worth hearing [and the pbi is up]

Geoffrey plays Ella with no pbi ....

Jon3 looks promising:
    Thomas Stronen's Time is a Blind Guide
    Norwegian drummer Thomas Strønen presents his new project Time Is a Blind Guide in concert at the 2014 Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
    Bringing together talent from both sides of the North Sea, including pianist Kit Downes, Strønen's sextet incorporates string and percussion mini-ensembles within it. It's a setting that gives the leader the opportunity to blend his passions for classical music and jazz through rich and melodic writing that also references Nordic folk, most obviously through the Hardanger fiddle of Nils Økland. Subtle string textures are offset by upbeat grooves and a strong sense of rhythmic interplay, in a performance featuring new material written especially for the festival.
    always up for a touch of third streaming ....

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Trish Clowes is due to be interviewed by Jamie Cullum on Radio 2 sometime during the next hour. Could be interesting from the pov of young musicians coming into jazz and education in this dane age.

Sorry - only just this minute spotted this!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Jon3 - nordic noodlin not as good as the soundtracks to Wallander and the Bridge et al ... boring
      Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 28-05-14, 17:59.
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed Jamie Cullum last night, and it stood the test of time on iPlayer. There must be something wrong - I will have to see the doctor if this keeps occurring.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

this one Oddball?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            this one Oddball?
            Oddball must have gone to bed, so I'll answer. That be the one, Calum. She played a track from a new album due out in the autumn, and very interesting it was too, by no means soft-centred stuff as found on her first. Somehow one sensed she would take a more radical route. As part of her listening she played Charles Lloyd Forest Flower saying it took her right back to being 17 again. It took me back to being 24!

Jamie tends to forefront singers rather a lot on his programme, which I suppose is understandable, and he does usually find interesting and unusual stuff to play.

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Oddball must have gone to bed, so I'll answer. That be the one, Calum. She played a track from a new album due out in the autumn, and very interesting it was too, by no means soft-centred stuff as found on her first. Somehow one sensed she would take a more radical route. As part of her listening she played Charles Lloyd Forest Flower saying it took her right back to being 17 again. It took me back to being 24!

Jamie tends to forefront singers rather a lot on his programme, which I suppose is understandable, and he does usually find interesting and unusual stuff to play.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Thanks S_A - listened last night on i-player.

Oddball may have just logged off (rather than nodded off) - I believe some people do from time to time

OG

Comment

Working...
                X