• Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Halvorson & Crump 5 May 2014

should be well worth pinning back the lobes

Jon3
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 04-05-14, 11:46.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Geoff Smith is Lush Lifeing with Cmrde Billy Strayhorn.

There's a very good et moving biog of Billy S...well worth rereading.

BN.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

'Halvorson & Crump' sounds so-o-o like a long-established English county town partnership selling, um, what?

Or if not going so low as selling, providing professional services...

Suggestions please!
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        'Halvorson & Crump' sounds so-o-o like a long-established English county town partnership selling, um, what?

Or if not going so low as selling, providing professional services...

Suggestions please!
        I was going to say... but you beat me to it, LMP... Charles Fox would probably have said it suggested a possible firm of solicitors, or perhaps upholsterers.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I was going to say... but you beat me to it, LMP... Charles Fox would probably have said it suggested a possible firm of solicitors, or perhaps upholsterers.
          They sound to me like the leaders of our "glorious" coalition. No prizes for who is "Crump".... "I agree with...Crump".

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Mary Halvorson's "Illusionary Sea" was easily one of the most rewarding and creative jazz albums of last year. It's rarely been off my CD player for the last four months. I wasn't originally a fan but this record has some brilliant writing on top of some nice solos.

On the subject of guitarists I caught Marc Copland and John Abercrombie in duo on Thursday night and was staggered by their brilliance. The obvious comparison was Bill Evans and Jim Hall yet the music has moved on and the level of technical brilliance has serious opened up the possibilities of this format. I would have to admit being a huge John Abercrombie fan who is probably the most consistent and reliable of any of the musicians on Manfed Eicher's ECM label. There were moments where the guitar and piano where accompanying each other with a degree of telepathy which made this the best duo I have heard in concert for a very long time. Abercrombie's tone on guitar is one of the great sounds in jazz and the programme of originals plus "The way you look tonight" and "All the things you are" squarely put a lot of younger names in to perspective. The evening's highlight was a version of "Nardis" which ended up sounding like it was written by Bela Bartok. Copland proved to be a brilliant and sensitive pianist and shared something of the post-Bill Evans approach of someone such as Richie Beirach.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              Copland proved to be a brilliant and sensitive pianist and shared something of the post-Bill Evans approach of someone such as Richie Beirach.
              ...or our own John Taylor - though that comparison may come courtesy the fact that Copland did a very nice duo album about 23 years ago with Stan Sulzmann after putting in an appearance at the Outside-In Festival in Crawley.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

indeed both Copland and Taylor are very fine artists

Secret Keeper's enchanting and sensitive approach is an antidote to the brash blowing sessions and high-paced chaos sometimes associated with freely improvised music.
                at last a sedate avant garde!
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

A classic by Frank Stokes - for once a song that isn't about a chicken:-

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

... or fish ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

it aint even smelling funny

and Ta to Jez and chums for their account of Jazzahead and albums they were given ... and a promise of a future programme showcasing this Euro Showcase for the ineffable anarchic art ....

much taken with Christian Lillinger's Grund Second Reason

Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 06-05-14, 12:39.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Truly an excellent Jon3 last night, with enthralling choices of tracks from the three regulars. One much enjoyed the Halvorsen duo - an interesting niche she occupies - somewhere midway between Derek Bailey and Jim Hall in a space big enough for others to explore, while hardly glancing at all at fusioneers such as McLaughlin and Holdsworth

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

yes S_A a truly programme ....

and Lauren Kinsella is a revelation, a jazz voice ...
                          Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 06-05-14, 17:34.

Comment

Working...
                          X