Three hours from Cheltenham Jazz Festival, on Radio 2 - today (3 May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

S.A

I would agree with some of those choices even though many of your selections include the kind of Americans I have been commenting about. I would also concede that there are some musicians that I could have added to mine. However, my listening experience has largely been hearing American players and whilst there is no doubt that European players have improved over the last fifty years, I don't think that there are many who have really set an agenda for any kind of approach that will match that of a country that invented the music and has had an education industry to foster jazz since the late 1940's when University of Texas first produced a jazz programme for students. Some of the better groups you list like Empircal are so good because they utilise the American model. I'm afraid I'm not convinced by all the groups you have listed even if they include some musicians I like or even, in the case of John Taylor, consider myself to be a fan.

I've heard many good British and French outfits as well as the odd band from places like Switzerland too. However, I think there is a good reason why some of the better players still gravitate towards the States whether we are talking about the Mouton brothers, Ingrid Laubrock or John Escreet. There are American groups which may not be so unimpeachable but I think that you will probably find musicians as good as some of the British names you have listed in most,large American cities. I can recall hearing the Knoxville Jazz orchestra about 13 years ago who blow their audience away. Knoxville isn't a large city but it still could put together a big band full of ex-pros from Woody / Thad Jones, etc as well as commission work from composer Donald Brown.

The point of the thread was that festivals seem intent on booking European acts with increasing regularity and perhaps giving them a similar billing to American counterparts. The American scene is so rich and varied with even the avant garde having a cultural heritage of over fifty years. I would reiterate my contention that there is no big band in Europe who could compete with the Mingus big band, nothing to match an organisation like AACM or continue to churn out talent like Ambrose Akinmusire, Gerald clayton, Esperanza Spalding, etc to name musicians who have emerged in all spheres of jazz in the States.

What is interesting from my experience at Vienne is that there is a discerning audience for jazz out there that does not tolerate b/s. It's fascinating that the better musicians (say, Jeremy Pelt, Spalding, Logan Richardson, rudresh Mahanthappa, etc) seem to attract an audience by word of mouth. I've been to quite a few gigs before these players have been established and the venue was packed. I will grant you that there are some great European players out there but festivals are excluding them in exchange for something modish. Much of the European stuff I've heard is good but certainly not great even if it is markedly better than what you might have expected to have heard in say 1958. Bluensik sums it up for me in that Europe seems to have swallowed it's own publicity. Hearing some European musicians speak disrespectfully of American jazz seems perverse and, as I have said before, their opinions border of racism. What fascinates me is that you can flick through catalogues of labels like Criss Cross, Sunnyside, Delmark, etc and come across unfamiliar names from the States yet still find a quality in the music that outstrips so much that is lauded over here. The musicians may now come from Asia, Europe or South America yet they are all attracted by scene in cities like New York or Chicago. The music from the latter city is very much something new to my ears and I would have to say that there is nowhere in Europe to match the creative, cutting edge jazz than has been emerging from this city in recent years.

Thanks for taking the time to write the list out !!

Ian

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
      Hearing some European musicians speak disrespectfully of American jazz seems perverse and, as I have said before, their opinions border of racism.
      I must be missing something then! The on.ly time I have ever heard non-Americans castigate American musicians was back in the '70s when many of the latter went wholesale for increasingly standardised jazz-rock fusion; but it was Americans like Lester Bowie who criticised Wynton, who seems to represent your ideal model, for denying musical progress since the early '60s and slagging off Miles. I think you are in danger of reverse racism in talking as if non-US jazz has had little time to evolve - for all its weaknesses it's been around nearly as long as the American phenomenon (85 as against 100 years if we're talking generalities), and it was the people over here taking up free jazz and improv who couldn't have done what they did without the Americans having first evolved a praxis that melded European musical ideas on its own terms, responding to the goadings of Mingus and Dizzy telling us to "stop emulating us, find your own voices". The range of what resulted can be approached as openmindedly as the different categories of the American form: Dixleland, Chicago, Bop, Cool, Modal, Fusion, Jazz-Funk, No Wave etc etc. It can't all, or mostly, be inferior - that would upset the Americans in my list, and drumer Jeff Williams (Dave Liebman etc etc) who spends half his time living over here, and who, when I asked what difference there was working with the Loop Collective people and with his American band, told me, "none at all, they're both as good as each other".

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

SA

Some of your points are valid but I feel that continually dragging Wynton Marsalis' name in to the mix does no one any favours. My point is that there is a lot of inferior European jazz being incorporated in to festivals. They might not be the names you mention yet players from labels like ACT seem increasingly to be more favoured than "real jazz. (Granted, there are a few ACT artists who are ok but, by and large, it specializes in the ordinary / quirky. ) From my experience since 2001 I have heard plenty of groups where the musicians can really play their instruments but something is missing. This isn't true for every European group but, to my ears, you further you get from the music's heritage, the less resilient it is. I'm not suggesting that the best jazz was from the 50's/ 60's but that everything that is great about the music largely stems from this model whether we are talking about AACM, Dave Leibman, David Binney, Nicole Mitchell, Miguel Zenon etc, etc.

As I have stated, I have heard European players make the kind of comments I have described. The issue is not about finding your identity, but about whether the musicians are throwing out the baby with the bath water so that the resultant music may include improvisation but may not be jazz. Stand up the likes of Jan Garbarek, Tigran, etc, etc. I do not accept that "the American model" has run it's course and whilst I would not argue that Jeff Williams isn't correct about the calibre of jazz musicians in this country, there is a greater proportion of mediocre jazz that abounds in GB / Europe that seems to manifest itself at festivals. Check out any number of artists on the labels I have mentioned and whilst they might not all be into free improve (although this is an ingredient of some of the players) the music has a vitality that proves is the wheel isn't broken, there is no need to replace it. This is by no means suggesting that Wynton-like Luddism is the "true path" but more a case of recognising that "real jazz" has more vitality than some Europeans of Nicholson's persuasion might argue. I would reiterate my comment on the other thread about the record with Malachai Thompson / Hamiett Blueitt / Oliver Lake - this is clearly within the realms of more orthodox jazz but it is delivered with a panache, verve and conviction that is absent from some of the more "plastic " jazz acts that seems to appear at European festivals. Check out the liner notes to this record and they are extremely hostile towards Wynton yet the music on the disc can only be described as jazz. The jury is out as to whether playing Armenian folk songs or anything by Lars Danielsson really cuts the mustard in this respect. This stuff is just a poor photocopy of jazz.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

er the USA ain't short on the less than desirable front .... just as it is not short on excellence ... since jazz has now matured to a presence on the planet quite independent of geography as far as exellence is concerned [imho] i find the USA v the world not helpful ...

great list S_A worth about three episodes of Jazz File i reckon
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            er the USA ain't short on the less than desirable front .... just as it is not short on excellence ... since jazz has now matured to a presence on the planet quite independent of geography as far as exellence is concerned [imho] i find the USA v the world not helpful ...
            Yes, I was also thinking that but couldn't express it so succinctly.
            Also, isn't different "jazz" influenced by, or fused with, or related to, or derived from, many many different musical sources (different jazz traditions, classical music schools and world music traditions), and so saying the USA is better (or worse) is just saying that you're more (or less) attuned to the musical direction chosen by certain musicians in a collective scene focused somewhere in the USA?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Calum

Granted that there is a lot of dross coming out of the States too and I would share your comment about USA v World not really helpful as jazz musicians are cropping up from all around the world. The fact is though that many of them are gravitating to the US where the scene is richer.

For me, the big problem with jazz festivals is that jazz is seen as an increasingly broad church where the listening palate of the audience can be deemed to take in elements of blues, pop , Brazilian / Cuban music or "World " music without really cause too much of a stir. The more "mainstream" styles of jazz are almost becoming strangers at their own party and my this I would include all types of jazz from New Orleans to post-Bop. Even more avant garde groups are missing. If contemporary jazz does get a toe hold, increasingly it seems to be more pop-orientated acts like Jamie Cullum (for what it is worth, I have seen him perform live and I don't think he is actually as bad as many on this board would imagine albeit he wouldn't be my first choice) or more modish bands of younger musicians from Britain / France/ whoever is putting the festival on. I suppose the problem is one of dilution and whilst I would share some of SA's observations whilst also commenting that I would consider myself to have a far wider taste in jazz, I feel that more orthodox jazz is increasingly becoming over-looked. Personally, I like the more traditional idea of a jazz group that is reliant on improvisation whilst building upon the compositional heritage of the likes of Ellington / Monk / Shorter, etc. For me, labels like CrissCross might not be the most adventurous and perhaps somewhat "tame" in SA's eyes yet the music they are putting out my people like Sipiagin / Potter / Luis Podermo seem utterly contemporary whilst obviously being undiluted jazz. This is the stuff that tends to get ignored - those musicians who have an ability to tell a story when they improvise or at least play with more depth and meaning than some of the more cosmetic European bands who strive not to sound American.

If festival organisers scratched around a bit more I think they would find some brilliant acts who play music with real depth and produce the kind of jazz that has a soul. The jazz audience is probably one of the most savvy after the Classical audience yet the festival organisers seem to wish to pull the wool over their eyes and book groups with a perceived broader appeal. Fir me, the best solution would be for them to get the more obvious jazz acts on board so that they can attract more jazz fans due to the concentration of great music rather than trying to broaden the appeal because they feel a more popularist approach is more successful. This will ultimately result in an Montreux type situation where there is practically no jazz being performed at a jazz festival!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                Yes, I was also thinking that but couldn't express it so succinctly.
                Also, isn't different "jazz" influenced by, or fused with, or related to, or derived from, many many different musical sources (different jazz traditions, classical music schools and world music traditions), and so saying the USA is better (or worse) is just saying that you're more (or less) attuned to the musical direction chosen by certain musicians in a collective scene focused somewhere in the USA?
                Honoured guest

I totally agree that jazz is like a musical magpie and has always taken its cues from other musical source. However I think it has generally done so by absorbing them and refracting the influences in their own image. The point is that how far can you go before you dilute the jazz content altogether?

Ian

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

...and all in the best possible taste [ahem actually i quite like it ....]
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Amongst the birthday presents I had from my sister today when she came down with her family today was Jason Roebke's exceptional "High / red / Centre." Again, this music, like so much on Delmark, lands in what I would called "Jazzrook territory" and demonstrates for me how earlier styles of jazz still offer inspiration for something more contemporary. The octet sounds like an Ellington small group but the writing has the looseness of that great Ducal disciple Charles Mingus. If you tried to imagine what "Out to lunch" might have sounded like if it was a Mingus disc, you get a good impression of what the record is like - albeit some of the players like Josh Berman lean more towards the Improv scale of things.

Having got about 1/2 way through, I am hugely impressed and numbers like "Candy Time" swing with the kind of aggression that many European players might find ashamed to produce. In summary, it is cutting edge yet modelled upon all the elements that make jazz so vital whether it is swing, the cry of the blues or the use of riffs. I'm staggered that trombonist Jeb Bishop seems ignored on this board as he is a tremendous player. Also love Jason Adasiewicz's vibes which recall the early work of Bobby Hutcherson. This record is going to be high on the "best of...." lists for 2014. Absolutely love this wild, fiery jazz that is so typical of the great music emerging from Chicago these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X