DISC
    Artist Muggsy Spanier and His Ragtime band
    Title Dippermouth Blues
    Composer Oliver
    Album 1931 and 1939
    Label BBC
    Number CD 687 Track 7
    Duration 2.29
    Performers: Muggsy Spanier, c; George Brunis, tb; Rod Cless, cl; Bernie Billings, ts; Joe Bushkin, p; Bob Casey, b; Don Carter, d. 10 Nov 1939.

DISC
    Artist Vanguard Jazz Orchestra
    Title Sticks
    Composer Jim McNeely
    Album Lickety Split
    Label New World
    Number 80534 Track 6
    Duration 7.37
    Performers: Glenn Drewes, Earl Gardner, Joe Mosello, Scott Wendholt, t; Billy Drewes, Dick Oates, Rich Perry, Gary Smulyan, reeds; Jon Mosca, Ed Neumeister, Douglas Purviance, Earl McIntyre, tb; Jim McNeely, p; Dennis Irwin, b; John Riley, d. 1997.

DISC
    Artist Billy Banks and His Rhythmakers
    Title Bugle Call Rag
    Composer Pettis, Meyers, Schoebel
    Album Larkin’s Jazz
    Label Proper
    Number Properbox 155 CD 2 Track 5
    Duration 2.46
    Performers: Henry "Red" Allen (tp, v), Pee Wee Russell (cl), Joe Sullivan (p), Jack Bland (g), Eddie Condon (bj), Al Morgan (b), and Gene Krupa (d). 1932.

DISC
    Artist Jelly Roll Morton
    Title Burnin The Iceberg
    Composer Morton
    Album The Essential Collection
    Label Avid
    Number 890 CD 2 Track 6
    Duration 3.05
    Performers: Boyd Rosser, Walter Briscoe, t; Charlie Irvis, tb; George Bacquet, Paul Barnes, Joe Thomas, Walter Thomas, reeds; Jelly Roll Morton, Rod Rodriguez, p; Barney Alexander, bj; Harry Prather, tu; William Laws, d. 9 July 1929.

DISC
    Artist Wilbur De Paris
    Title The Martinique
    Composer De Paris
    Album Marchin’ and Swingin’
    Label Collectables
    Number CD 6600 CD 1 Track 1
    Duration 5.19
    Performers Sidney De Paris, t; Wilbur De Paris, tb; Omer Simeon, cl; Don Kirkpatrick, p; Eddie Gibbs, bj; Harold Jackson, b Freddie Moore, d. 1952,

DISC
    Artist Woody Herman
    Title Goosey Gander
    Composer Herman
    Album The Woody Herman Stoy
    Label Proper
    Number Properbox 15 CD 2 Track 16
    Duration 3.26
    Performers: Sonny Berman, Chuck Frankhouser, Ray Wetzel, Pete Candoli, Carl Warwick, t; Ralph Pfeffner, Bill Harris, Ed Keifer, tb; Wody Herman, Sam Marozitz, John La Porta, Flip Phillips, Pete Mondello, Skippy De Sair, reeds; Ralph Burns, p; Billy Bauer, g; Chubby Jackson, b; Dave Tough, d. 1 March 1945.

DISC
    Artist Count Basie
    Title Idaho
    Composer Stone
    Album Ain’t Misbehavin’
    Label MPS
    Number 821-291-2 Track 3
    Duration 2.17
    Performers: Oscar Brashear, Gene Coe, Sonny Cohn, Waymon Reed, t; Frank Hooks, Grover Mitchell, Melvin Wanzo, tb; Bill Hughes, btb; Marshal Royal, Bobby Plater, Eric Dixon, Eddie Davis, Charlie Fowlkes, reeds; Count Basie, p; Freddie Green, g; Norman Keenan, b; Harold Jones, d. 9 Oct 1969.

DISC
    Artist Jeremy Steig
    Title Oleo
    Composer Rollins
    Album Flute Fever
    Label Columbia
    Number SOPM 159 Track 1
    Duration 5.19
    Performers: Jeremy Stieg, fl; Denny Zeitlin, piano, Ben Tucker, bass, Ben Riley, drums. 1963

DISC
    Artist Marian Montgomery
    Title There’ll Be Some Changes Made
    Composer Overstreet, Higgins
    Album Let There be Love, Let There Be Swing.
    Label Capitol
    Number T1982 Track 3
    Duration 1.43
    Performers Marian Montgomery, v; Dave Wells, Manny Klein, t; Lou McCreary tb; Plas Johnson, ts; Mike Melvoin, p; Ray Johnson, org; Bob Bain, Jack Marshall, g; Leroy Vinnegar, b; Earl Palmer, d. August 1962

DISC
    Artist Charles Lloyd
    Title Song
    Composer Lloyd
    Album The Call
    Label ECM
    Number ? Track 2
    Duration 12.44
    Performers: Charles Lloyd, ts; Bob Stenson, p; Anders Jormin, b; Billy Hart, d. 1993.

DISC
    Artist Lee Morgan
    Title Trapped
    Composer Morgan
    Album The Gigolo
    Label Blue Note
    Number 84212 Track 2
    Duration 5,59
    Performers: Lee Morgan, t; Wayne Shorter, ts; Harold Mabern, p; Bob Cranshaw, b; Billy Higgins, d. 1966
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

Many thanks once again. The list will go into the printables / blog later this evening.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

... the McNeely band is inyteresting
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Many thanks one more time, Alyn!

I'll bet there's some on here will be looking forward to that Lee Morgan track!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

... the McNeely band is inyteresting
          Calum

This band is actually the old Thad Jones / Mel Lewis band which held residency at The Village Vanguard. I saw them many years ago at Vienne where they were on a double bill with Dave Holland's big band. They rehearsed in the courtyard of the college where I was on a workshop and they were fantastic. It was better hearing them close up as you could really appreciate the way that this band had a lightness about them that gave the band the feel of a small group. At lunchtime all the students and band members met up for a bite to eat and it was quite intriguing listening to them chat about music. I was amazed at how many of the musicians spoke in glowing terms of working with pop acts like Barbara Steisand which took me by surprise. Some of the musicians were interesting although one of the trumpet players was a complete knob and thought it was funny picking on the diminutive Gary Smulyan who is a nice chap. However, I would have to say that getting to meet the late Dennis Irwin (also playing on the track requested) was a highlight for me. He was easily one of the nicest blokes I've met and had a genuine interest in talking to you and sharing your passion for music. He also played a pretty useful clarinet.

Jim McNeely writes some really good music and deserves to be better known. He works with a number of big bands where his writing is in the tradition yet is frequently ambitious. He is a pretty serious composer . I think he wrote some of the charts for the Dave Douglas album with a big band. McNeely is well respected by other musicians and like yourself, I will be listening out for this track even though there are some brilliant records of an earlier vintage too.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

Looking forward to the Lee Morgan and Charles Lloyd tracks
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

well there is no JLU bognored by the opry agin; Geoffrey is playing singers from the Ellington Realm and Jon3 has a new UK Trio but no playlist and i can not be arsed this week ..

is R3 going on a collective end of term skive [or worse] as RW goes; will they do a ManU to the new Boss; will the New Boss be the same as the old boss? who gives a finger pop

jazz on R£ is sliding into a pit of opry murders, cutsin Jon3, more whaqmmies all round - and go seek it here seek it there across the BBC and find Jamie Cullum ...

Vive La France!
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

"The BBC revealed as a corporate member of the CBI."

Now why doesn't that surprise me.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  well there is no JLU bognored by the opry agin; Geoffrey is playing singers from the Ellington Realm and Jon3 has a new UK Trio but no playlist and i can not be arsed this week ..

is R3 going on a collective end of term skive [or worse] as RW goes; will they do a ManU to the new Boss; will the New Boss be the same as the old boss? who gives a finger pop

jazz on R£ is sliding into a pit of opry murders, cutsin Jon3, more whaqmmies all round - and go seek it here seek it there across the BBC and find Jamie Cullum ...

Vive La France!
                  Can't say I blame.... However, the"new trio" on Monday's Jon3, of trumpeter Laura Jurd's pianist, is well worth toonin' in for. Elliott Galvin is in the tradition of pianist individualists in this country including such as Alex Hawkins, Liam Noble, Keith Tippett and Mike Taylor; ignore him at your peril sez I!

Selected clips of the Elliot Galvin Trio live at the Vortex, London, UK. June 2013.Elliot Galvin - pianoTom McCredie - bassSimon Roth - drumsAll compositions...

Comment

• charles t
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks much for Jeremy Steig, Alyn. I recall hearing something by him and thinking:

'This guy is a gas on the flute!'

But not back in 1963!!!!!!!!!!! Impossible.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                      Thanks much for Jeremy Steig, Alyn. I recall hearing something by him and thinking:

'This guy is a gas on the flute!'

But not back in 1963!!!!!!!!!!! Impossible.
                      On right now.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                        JRR 260414

DISC
                        Artist Charles Lloyd
                        Title Song
                        Composer Lloyd
                        Album The Call
                        Label ECM
                        Number ? Track 2
                        Duration 12.44
                        Performers: Charles Lloyd, ts; Bob Stenson, p; Anders Jormin, b; Billy Hart, d. 1993.

This tune was titled "The Song My Lady Sings" when Lloyd recorded it with Gabor Szabo, Ron Carter and Tony Williams on "Of Course, Of Course" back in 1966 - one of my favourite ballad tracks of all time on a great album I bought when it first came out. I wonder if they subsequently fell out... great band that 1993 line-up, though.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          This tune was titled "The Song My Lady Sings" when Lloyd recorded it with Gabor Szabo, Ron Carter and Tony Williams on "Of Course, Of Course" back in 1966 - one of my favourite ballad tracks of all time on a great album I bought when it first came out. I wonder if they subsequently fell out... great band that 1993 line-up, though.
                          I was listening on line just now, and whilst Anders Jormin was playing his solo, my anti-virus software updated. This software tells you verbally that it has updated. Bloody annoying...and absolutely typical of people (and computers) to talk through the bass solo!
                          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Yes, that track was the highspot of JRR. I tend to be a bit "sniffy" about Charles Lloyd etc. Time for a rethink.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

appalling manners that talking thru bass solos; always loved Jeremy Steig .... album he cut with Bill Evans is a corker

Comment

Working...
                              X