X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Hear and Now ~ Roscoe Mitchell/George Lewis/Fred Frith

Hear and Now(Radio 3, Saturday, 19 April, 10pm)

• Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

https://www.glasgowconcerthalls.com/...w-4-americana/
    Looks like it should be a worthwhile listen!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

good spot jazzrook! ta
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Yeh, thanks JR - I did think of posting this on the H&N broad.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

https://www.glasgowconcerthalls.com/...w-4-americana/
          Interesting programme. Take away the rhythm section and replace the horns with a string section, and the connection with Jazz is not outstandingly obvious.

The improv section between Mitchell, Lewis and Frith would have been worthy of Jon3, but for the orchestral pieces, I found myself listening with a pair of classical ears and intense concentration. Whereas for Jazz, I tend to let the music flow over me. May be I have got some way to go in my approach to listening - there must be a link-up somewhere!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            Interesting programme. Take away the rhythm section and replace the horns with a string section, and the connection with Jazz is not outstandingly obvious.

The improv section between Mitchell, Lewis and Frith would have been worthy of Jon3, but for the orchestral pieces, I found myself listening with a pair of classical ears and intense concentration. Whereas for Jazz, I tend to let the music flow over me. May be I have got some way to go in my approach to listening - there must be a link-up somewhere!
            For me the link-up is with the post-Boulez/Stockhausen avant-garde in the late 60s, subsequently virtually abandoned by the classical mainstream apart from often-m entioned examples on this forum, including a couple of contributers, and the improvised music scenes here and in other countries.

Comment

Working...
            X