X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Tyronne Washington...."My brother"...

Listening to Washington's ultra rare "Natural Essence", Bluenote 1968, (comp. Bruce way back) and found this on line....

"My Brother TRW
    September 25, 2010 By
    RBW

Tyrone R. Washington is my brother
    and he did drift away from music to
    pursue his religion. Woody Shaw
    grew up in our home and through
    his suggestions got my brother to
    leave Howard University School of
    Music and join the Horace Silver
    bans during the early 1960s. My
    brother moved into New York City's
    State of New York Conservatory of
    Music Building on West Street. And,
    as you maybe aware, played with a
    number of the great artist before
    completely abandoning music for
    preaching the gospel. Tyrone
    changed his name to Bialar
    Mohammed. He lives in Newark, New
    Jersey and while we respect his
    decision to leave music and practice
    his faith, he left a lot of great music
    on the table. To God be the glory.
    This is one of his great works of art.
    ....Bob Washington."

Listening again this is really a bit special...kind of Shepp meets Henderson. A JRR?

BN.
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

Agree, wish there was a lot more of his work available - that Blue Note album is a cracker.

I particularly like the Stanley Cowell album called "Brilliant circles" where Tyrone is on great form, superb band as well - Woody Shaw, Bobby Hutcherson , Reggie Workman and Joe Chambers. I have it on an old Black Lion CD, it needs to be reissued (legally) together with Ted Curson/BookerErvin Urge , NYAQ, Archie Shepp and the NY contemporary five- classics all.

elmo

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

well i listened to his album [after i scored it from on a reccy from hereabouts] and came to regard Mr T as one of the myths of modern jazz; ... he loses the plot occasionally and i could see why he would walk away and do something else with his life .... from his playing you can hear that 1] he sees the light but 2] playing it defeats him (articulation) ... he must be preaching a storm in Newark ... and it is possible that his faith and his music failed to connect?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

It really pays a relisten once you get past the avanti funk of the opening track...then a lot more free. Great Spalding, Shaw, Joe Chambers and Workman. I was a bit dubious when Bruce copied it to me but now really like it. There is a (legend) train wreck date of Tyronne, Woody and Jackie buried in the Bnote vaults...forever. And I've been told another wreck Qrt date with Herbie Hancock, Jack D'J and Herbie Lewis....nothing but the best!

"Pastor" Tyronne can now be seen a preaching on Utube and playing hot keyboards for the faithful.

BN.
        Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 13-04-14, 15:08.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

David Weiss (Organissimo)...

"What ever happened to Tyrone
          Washington? I've never heard
          anything. I did hear a story about
          him when he was with Horace Silver
          though. He took it kind of out
          (playing-wise I mean) on the gig
          with Horace once and Horace told
          him to "play the blues". Tyrone
          responded that he thought he was.
          ......That was IT for him in that band."

God told him to....Well, at least he didn't fkg invade Iraq...

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Bluesnsik

By and large, I feel posterity has got in right with the major figures in jazz in the 1950's and 60's even if there are layers like Herbie Nichols who has passed on before the brilliance of the music was understood and appreciated. I've never heard of Tyronne Washington but the information on this thread seems so typical of a lot of players from that generation. There are quite a few players you could name as having produced stunning performance on a particular record and the lack of appearances on other sessions seems to build up a "neglected legend " reputation. The prime example is Dupree Boulton who was sensation on Land's classic "The fox" but whose later recordings were binned because they were so terrible that the person responsible for the session did not want to see Boulton's reputation diminished. Personally, if you want "neglected" trumpeters I would have to single out Johnny Coles who was imperious on a number of Gil Evans' sessions such as "Out of the cool" and "new wine, old bottle" records. The Blue Note record I have heard of his disappointed me and didn't live up to my expectations and I can remember hearing him in the 1980's as a guest on a later Evans' live recording where he sounded totally past it and now match for Lew Soloff.

I was curious to read the comment about the Wilbur Harden recording of "The king and I" which has just materialised on Avid. This is a strange re-releasing programme as the label seems to be issuing double CD's where some solid recordings as matched with some wretched offerings that should have remained forgotten. I've not heard the aforementioned album but my Dad has already bought about 30 of these double CD's which, from a historical perspective, illustrate how skewered the notion of CBS, Prestige, Riverside and Blue Note dominating the jazz market whereas there was also a lot of hugely forgettable materials being issued at the same time. It reminded me of an old liner note I read many years ago from an old LP from the mid 50's which commented about the abundance of LP's being issued at the time and how much was dross. CD re-issue programmes in the 1980's distorted the picture so that you are left with the impression that everything released in the 50's and 60's was not without some merit. Certainly it has made me appreciate the care and attention out in by labels like CBS and Blue Note where the quality control was generally pretty good.

That said, I've been ploughing through some old CDs this weekend and it is interesting how your perception changes. One record I've always considered to be brilliant is Jackie McLean's "Destination out" and the inspired playing by the quintet on this disc still sounds fresh. Roy Haynes drumming on this record is a masterclass and I felt assists in elevating this disc to amongst the essential recordings of the 1960's. It wouldn't sound bad if recorded on 2014.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

... er some of us feel that Mr Haynes is the master of bop and post bop drumming Ian and that includes Messrs Roach, Blakey, Williams, Motian &c ....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                ... er some of us feel that Mr Haynes is the master of bop and post bop drumming Ian and that includes Messrs Roach, Blakey, Williams, Motian &c ....
                For a lifetime of consistency in sheer quality it has to be Roy Haynes, I'd agree, though I'd vote for the young Tony Williams on Out To Lunch and those first sides with Miles, before the testosterone took over. Still amazing even then (the 1969/70 Lifetime band, albeit the records give a distorted idea) - just too fckg loud.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

another neglected tenorist

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    Listening to Washington's ultra rare "Natural Essence", Bluenote 1968, (comp. Bruce way back) and found this on line....

"My Brother TRW
                    September 25, 2010 By
                    RBW

Tyrone R. Washington is my brother
                    and he did drift away from music to
                    pursue his religion. Woody Shaw
                    grew up in our home and through
                    his suggestions got my brother to
                    leave Howard University School of
                    Music and join the Horace Silver
                    bans during the early 1960s. My
                    brother moved into New York City's
                    State of New York Conservatory of
                    Music Building on West Street. And,
                    as you maybe aware, played with a
                    number of the great artist before
                    completely abandoning music for
                    preaching the gospel. Tyrone
                    changed his name to Bialar
                    Mohammed. He lives in Newark, New
                    Jersey and while we respect his
                    decision to leave music and practice
                    his faith, he left a lot of great music
                    on the table. To God be the glory.
                    This is one of his great works of art.
                    ....Bob Washington."

Listening again this is really a bit special...kind of Shepp meets Henderson. A JRR?

BN.
                    I love his playing with Woody Shaw on Horace Silver's hard-to-find 1966 BLUE NOTE album 'The Jody Grind'.
                    Definitely a JRR!

* Horace Silver (piano) * Woody Shaw (trumpet) * James Spaulding (flute, alto sax) * Tyrone Washington (tenor sax) * Larry Ridley (bass) * Rog...
                    Last edited by Jazzrook; 24-04-14, 10:00.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

BN.
                      I have thought about it more than once...potentially the last track "Song of Peace" which is the most "out there" track of the album, specially for the trad lovers. It's the one track where he sounds most comfortable. Mind you I enjoy "Ethos" the most.

Yes his articulation is rough and ready, but it points to what might have been had he stayed with music.
                      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        ...and apparently he's a top bloke too! (Though I've not had the pleasure of meeting him)
                        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

...er while in BudaPest

Comment

Working...
                          X