• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...a very stiff big triangular pick

Alyn Shipton includes candidates for the hottest ever jazz from Sidney Bechet, an unusual pairing of Clark Terry with Thelonious Monk, and music from swing trumpeter Buck Clayton and pianist Mel Powell.
    No JLU this week screw the opera there is cup footie and six nations rugby

Geoffrey offers a mystery tour of the recordings of Art Pepper

Jon3 continues to show the rest how to do it [great content and playlist now available] shame it is a repeat though

On Commonwealth Day, a second chance to hear one of Jazz on 3's gig highlights of 2013: Indian-American saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa in performance with his quartet, Gamak, at Ronnie Scott's.
    Mahanthappa is second-generation Indian-American and his music reflects this heritage: the classical Carnatic tradition of southern India is absorbed into a progressive jazz language that takes in complex, muscular rhythmic patterns as well as hip-hop grooves. In Gamak he casts his net even wider, pulling in Americana, go-go and heavy metal along the way too. The band's name comes from the south Indian term for melodic ornamentation, so it's fitting that he's joined in this group by guitarist Dave 'Fuze' Fiuczynski, known for his intricate, microtonal playing and for whom Mahanthappa wrote much of the music. The band is completed by longtime collaborators Francois Moutin (bass) and Dan Weiss on drums.
    i recall flipping my wig to this first time round

and this too

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

as this was not then up [zzzzzzz] Alyn very kindly posted this on last weeks post

Now Ravel's over, on Jazz Record Requests today, Tubby Hayes, Buck Clayton, Billie Holiday, Adelaide Hall, Art Hodes, Alex Welsh, John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, Howard McGhee, Alan Ferber and Clark Terry.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

My wig flipped a long time ago.

No matter how much Earl Bostic I apply.

I blame school caps. ...

BN.

Btw...Int Womens Day today....No Mary Lou, Lavern Baker....The Charlie Church Hot Five?
      Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 08-03-14, 16:19.

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Best to settle for a "cleanhead" look

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

BD

Amazed to see that clip.

Cootie William's band is really obscure and , granted that there was some popular nonsense in the film, the band sounds really tight if lacking in identity. I think the pianist in the clip could be Bud Powell.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Ian Thumwood;383600]BD

Amazed to see that clip.

Cootie William's band is really obscure and , granted that there was some popular nonsense in the film, the band sounds really tight if lacking in identity. I think the pianist in the clip could be Bud Powell.

"Folks call me mister Cleanhead
            'cause my head is bald on top
            And every week I save a dollar
            When I walk by that barber shop

If it wasn't for you women I'd have
            my curly locks today
            If it wasn't for you women I'd have
            my curly locks today
            But I've been hugged kissed and
            petted
            Till all my hair was rubbed away

When it starts to gettin' wetter
            My head gets kinda cold
            I try to grow a little hair
            When I care to save my soul
            When it comes to gettin' summer
            I get such a pretty tan
            You can hear all the women holler
            Where I can find that Cleanhead
            man?"

Fine saxophonist and composer.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Never been sure about the identity of the pianist. Owing to the recording ban 1942-4, Bud Powell's arrival and departure from Cootie's band has always been shrouded in mystery and the dates of soundies aren't always accurately stated. I haven't yet read Peter Pullman's book on Bud, so don't know his views about Bud on film - when I was researching my book on Bud, generally accepted thoughts were the pianist might have been Kenny Kersey or Arnold Jarvis. Not enough clear piano on the soundtrack to get an aural identification, but Peter P's detective skills may hold the answer...

Comment

Working...
              X