X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

Baroness Thatcher's funeral, St. Paul's, 17 April 2013

There's an unconfirmed rumour going round that the trebles in the choir will be those from St Thomas' Fifth Avenue NY. I'm a little surprised if so (WA was able to recall all but one of its choristers for Diana).

Presumably the ceremony will be broadcast. (I'd rather this thread weren't taken over by arguments about MT's political achievements and legacy, but focused on the music).
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

So what music then ?

Suggestions please ...................................

Comment

• Beef Oven

I always thought the adagio from LvB's 7th could play a part somehere in a funeral ceremony.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

She was an Elgar fan apparently ( she clearly wasn't all bad ) so I fear Nimrod will get an outing played too slowly !

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          She was an Elgar fan apparently ( she clearly wasn't all bad ) !

... those of us who do not enjoy Elgar (to put it mildly) will not agree with your logic there

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Was choral music perhaps intended (since this is The Choir board)?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... those of us who do not enjoy Elgar (to put it mildly) will not agree with your logic there

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JimD
                • Nov 2010

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I'll resist 'Going Home' and perhaps go for the Mendelssohn 'Be Not Afraid' ...

Bit late for the Easter Hymn.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

There are, of course, those who might long since have wished that MT actually had been cast away on a Desert Island, but it would appear from the occasion in which she participated in this long-running series that her musical tastes were no more developed than one might have imagined them to have been.

But suggestions have been requested. What about Das Buch mit Sieben Siegeln which, notwithstanding its inappropriate length for a funeral service, might otherwise be appropriate (and the fact that the Führer is said to have thought highly of it should not necessarily discourage its use in this context). Or there's Strauss's Deutsche Motett. Ferneyhough's Missa Brevis could also be pressed into service.

I'm sorry - as someone who shall remain nameless once said in the context of Philip Glass, "I've run out of a lack of ideas"...

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I'll resist 'Going Home' and perhaps go for the Mendelssohn 'Be Not Afraid' ...
                      Or get some gifted arranger to bung them together into Be Not Afraid of Going Home, perhaps.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Something by Diamanda Galas would be most fitting IMV

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

To Whom It May Concern

The thread was started in a spirit relevant to The Choir topic. If you don't want to engage with it appropriately, Go Away.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            Ferneyhough's Missa Brevis could also be pressed into service.
                            Shame on you! Did BF nick your parking space or something that you wish to associated him with this of all occasions?!

I would suggest Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem - appropriate in every respect, and probably counting as "great Music" by the sort of person who regards her as a "great stateswoman".
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven

Now this thread is degenerating with insults and stereotypes too.

Comment

Working...
                              X