• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Class 2

Originally posted by Simon View Post

I'm afraid that I think Ferret's post didn't help much: the first part was interesting, last two paragraphs just a rant without much of a sequential logical connection to the first two. That's what I hoped we might avoid.
    Did you really need to patronise a board member like that?
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Did you really need to patronise a board member like that?
    ....Well, I think most us would be in agreement about one specific thing....
    bong ching

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Other myths are available
      It doesn't seem to have educated you enough to realise that there are still lots of these institutions left

Passing the "11 +" was , in retrospect, one of the worst things i've done ....... but i'm over it now
      Not a myth, for example, for 5 of us children from 1 small street in Lower Clapton that all escaped to Ivy League or top British Universities, lifted out of poor backgrounds and 5 to a room housing without an inside toilet never mind a bathroom - speak for yourself, you middle-class prat.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        Not a myth, for example, for 5 of us children from 1 small street in Lower Clapton that all escaped to Ivy League or top British Universities, lifted out of poor backgrounds and 5 to a room housing without an inside toilet never mind a bathroom - speak for yourself, you middle-class prat.
        Oh dear, are we about to go into the "we had to eat gravel whilst living in a brown paper bag" routine?
        I'm a grammar school girl and obviously a middle-class pratess also!

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Oh dear, are we about to go into the "we had to eat gravel whilst living in a brown paper bag" routine?
          quick back "on task" before sir returns
          (if I had "failed" the 11 plus I would have been in the same class as Daniel Craig and what a failure his life has been )

Comment

• Beef Oven

I have no idea whether or not you are a middle-class pratess. I shall just have to take your word for it.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Of course

2 anecdotes = evidence

It all depends on what you mean by success

IF (as is often cited) one thinks that Finland has an excellent education system then ....................
              You trivialise everything that does not fit in with your comfy lefty world-view. You really can be such a knob when you want to be. I have tried to like middle class people, but you really test me.

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Hot gravel? You were lucky! We had to eat sand.

That was a great sketch. Here's the original version.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

You trivialise everything that does not fit in with your comfy lefty world-view. You really can be such a knob when you want to be. I have tried to like middle class people, but you really test me.
                  well done Beefy !
                  It' a good thing that "middle class" doesn't cover a huge range of social/financial status, or you would really have had your work cut out. !!
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    well done Beefy !
                    It' a good thing that "middle class" doesn't cover a huge range of social/financial status, or you would really have had your work cut out. !!
                    Cheers ts

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Cheers ts
                      no worries, but I was having a go, !
                      badly, as it turns out.

Rautavaara is mellowing me after OD ing on the Faces.
                      Now THERE is a working class band !
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

Class (1)

I'll tell you what guys. I GIVE UP.
                        To be honest Simon - I think we gave up on you, hence the hilarity and off-topics.

Comment

• Beef Oven

I'll tell you what guys. I GIVE UP.

Thanks to those half dozen who tried, but when we get people here who either don't read other posts before commenting, or don't understand them when they do, or just comment as a knee-jerk reaction because they can't manage to construct a measured or reasoned response, it's time to go.

If any of you are interested in discussing these things in a relaxed and sensible way, over a period, off board, as some of us do already to avoid the idiots, then please PM me.

(And if a certain other poster reads this - yes, I know I owe you a reply on another subject, but I only found the reference I wanted today. Sorry for the delay!)
                          I am not an idiot Simon. Mind what you say.

Comment

• Simon

I am not an idiot Simon. Mind what you say.
                            Not aimed at you, Beefy. Don't always agree with you, but I enjoy your posts.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Not aimed at you, Beefy. Don't always agree with you, but I enjoy your posts.
                              Ok, I apologise for being a bit aggressive in my response - getting a bit paranoid!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X