• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    I would not fret about captain beef
    Don't worry; I don't. His top side may be even less inviting than his silverside and he may desevre (his word) the odd shot in the shin, but often when he attempts a post he reveals that he knows not how to fillet and, whilst I would not wish to rib him for this, the content of some of what he writes seems to amount to the rump of a discussion and, accordingly, he shows himself to be no more "captain beef" than "Sir Loin".

he is mad as a box of frogs
    Now that sounds too UKIPpish to me - the very idea of confining French people in a carton against their wills...

and a complete mass of contradictions
    "Complete"? Mon Dieu! "Mass"? Quater at best and critical at worst (sorry - to be fair to him, he does appreciate those by Bruckner). "Contradictions"? You have first to assert something meaningful and understandable and then argue it diametrically in order to present contradictions and, in his case, I won't hold my breath...

how many enthusiasts for the odd corners of experimental music are rabid kippers?
    I have no reliable statistical evidence to answer your question, I fear, but I imagine the answer to be very few indeed, especially as I have never encountered a kipper afflicted with rabies and I'm quite sure that we would not tolerate such creatures in my Scotland.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
      AND repeat.....

Your default excuse for posting drivel now seems to be......"I was only joking Guv!"

The point about a joke, Mr GG, is that it should be funny.
      FFS
      I didn't say it was a JOKE
      but I guess you only deal with concrete language

Is "drivel" something you don't understand ?

PLEASE don't answer that ....................

I guess the "point" is that killing people is a bad idea
      regardless of how many people think it might be a good one
      sometimes for "good" reasons
      but that's why we have a society rather than a load of mad eyed Wickerman style villagers with pitchforks

all together now

"summer is iccumen in"

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        I have no reliable statistical evidence to answer your question, I fear, but I imagine the answer to be very few indeed, especially as I have never encountered a kipper afflicted with rabies and I'm quite sure that we would not tolerate such creatures in my Scotland.
        I'm glad to hear it
        as would the wonderful folk of Spink's in Arbroath who would be toast without the EU status (Talisker)

Comment

• Beef Oven

FFS
          I didn't say it was a JOKE
          but I guess you only deal with concrete language

Is "drivel" something you don't understand ?

PLEASE don't answer that ....................

I guess the "point" is that killing people is a bad idea
          regardless of how many people think it might be a good one
          sometimes for "good" reasons
          but that's why we have a society rather than a load of mad eyed Wickerman style villagers with pitchforks

all together now

"summer is iccumen in"
          Some people deserve to be killed.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Some people deserve to be killed.
            Some people are very bad indeed
            but that is not the solution
            it solves nothing (apart from the financial cost)
            and diminishes the societies that still do it........

Comment

• Beef Oven

Some people are very bad indeed
              but that is not the solution
              it solves nothing (apart from the financial cost)
              and diminishes the societies that still do it........
              Yeah, you're right. On reflection we need to rehabilitate child and mass murderers and finesse them back into society. Why should they forfeit their life merely because they have taken other people's lives? It serves no purpose. I don't think imprisoning them makes any sense either. In fact, wouldn't it be better if we put them on a driving refresher course?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Yeah, you're right. On reflection we need to rehabilitate child and mass murderers and finesse them back into society. Why should they forfeit their life merely because they have taken other people's lives? It serves no purpose.
                Those are your words
                Killing people is not a mark of a civilised society
                being opposed to the state murdering people is NOT the same as saying that it's OK to murder people
                come on , you are more intelligent than that

(though mr Gove does make me wonder about this )

When I see a dolphin, I know it's just as smart as I am.
                Don Van Vliet

Comment

• Beef Oven

Those are your words
                  Killing people is not a mark of a civilised society
                  being opposed to the state murdering people is NOT the same as saying that it's OK to murder people
                  come on , you are more intelligent than that

(though mr Gove does make me wonder about this )

Don Van Vliet
                  Exam question: "Why is executing proven child murderers inconsistent with civilised society?"

Gonna duck the question MrGG?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Exam question: "Why is executing proven child murderers inconsistent with civilised society?"

Gonna duck the question MrGG?
                    It's OT
                    But
                    Executing anyone is incompatible with a civilised society

Comment

• Beef Oven

It's OT
                      But
                      Executing anyone is incompatible with a civilised society
                      Fail. Resit?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

In a world of complex and difficult issues, its one thing that is really easy.
                        Killing people is wrong.

Violence begets violence.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          In a world of complex and difficult issues, its one thing that is really easy.
                          Killing people is wrong.

Violence begets violence.
                          Ts, we all agree with those very plausible broad-brush platitudes, but what do we do with child and mass murderers, for example?

Do we say they should live their lives to a ripe old age through some rehabilitative prison sentence? If so, why?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                            ...hanging is inhumane...Lethal injection is a much better alternative these days.
                            Say whom? There have been no surveys of those who have been executed. True, I expect lethal injection helps us to feel it's more humane. Although (and we're only talking about a few sates of the US here - very few other countries use lethal injection) the circus that surrounds executions is appalling - TV interviews, an audience, speeches - and drags it out to inhumane lengths. At least in the post-war days of hanging in the UK, the time from entering the condemned cell, moving to the execution shed, pinioning the prisoner and and pulling the lever was about 30 seconds or so.

And where's the deterrence if you make it more humane? (Deterrence is the most-often given reason for wanting CP.) If anything does deter (precious little evidence of it) it's the method of execution. As Mark Twain said, "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it". It's how you get there that you tend to think about.

I see though that even the Americans are having difficulties in getting hold of the chemicals. Most firms won't supply them and the EU won't allow exports for this purpose. So American states are being reduced to buying them from places like China and South Korea.
                            Last edited by Pabmusic; 10-02-13, 01:19.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              Say whom? There have been no surveys of those who have been executed. True, I expect lethal injection helps us to feel it's more humane. Although (and we're only talking about a few sates of the US here - very few other countries use lethal injection) the circus that surrounds executions is appalling - TV interviews, an audience, speeches - and drags it out to inhumane lengths. At least in the post-war days of hanging in the UK, the time between entering the condemned cell and pulling the lever was about 30 seconds or so.

I see though that even the Americans are having difficulties in getting hold of the chemicals. Most firms won't supply them and the EU won't allow exports for this purpose. So American states are being reduced to buying them from places like China and South Korea.
                              If the European Union blocks the export of 'humane' lethal injection chemicals, then instead of importing them from China and South Korea, firing squads can be used, or hanging, or the good ol' axe. The French would probably be banned by the EU from using Madame Guillotine these days.

But one way or another, the disposal of unwanted child murderers could effectively carried out.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

[1] If the European Union blocks the export of 'humane' lethal injection chemicals, then instead of importing them from China and South Korea, firing squads can be used, or hanging, or the good ol' axe. The French would probably be banned by the EU from using Madame Guillotine these days.

[2] But one way or another, the disposal of unwanted child murderers could effectively carried out.
                                Your point [1] was (sort of) what I was saying. I was pointing out the hypocrisy in the notion of a 'more humane' form of execution. As to your point [2], I'll not widen the thread to one on the rights and wrongs of capital punishment, since it's one about gay marriage.

Comment

Working...
                                X