• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Death penalty ?

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....I always thought we the constitutents sent our MP's to parliament to represent US and our wishes/intention....surely the wishes of 65% of her costituents (I take an approx average of most polls that I have seen) should be upper most in her mind....

NB.... though I am now sure that someone will now say that in that case hanging would probably be brought back....
    In that case hanging should be brought back.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • Beef Oven

....I always thought we the constitutents sent our MP's to parliament to represent US and our wishes/intention....surely the wishes of 65% of her costituents (I take an approx average of most polls that I have seen) should be upper most in her mind....

NB.... though I am now sure that someone will now say that in that case hanging would probably be brought back....
    It is my understanding that according to contemporary polls, there is no longer a majority in favour of hanging in the UK. Somebody tell Mr Pea.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      It is my understanding that according to contemporary polls, there is no longer a majority in favour of hanging in the UK. Somebody tell Mr Pea.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

....I always thought we the constitutents sent our MP's to parliament to represent US and our wishes/intention.....

With a few notable exceptions i'm not sure they have ever done that at all
        time we got rid of the daft idea that somehow they "represent" areas of the country

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

With a few notable exceptions i'm not sure they have ever done that at all
          time we got rid of the daft idea that somehow they "represent" areas of the country
          And replace it with what, Mr GG?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

And replace it with what, Mr GG?
            How about PR

Comment

• Beef Oven

How about PR
              That is a type of system for voting, not a form of government.

You are very naughty. You need to offer solutions. Anyone can criticise.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                In that case hanging should be brought back.
                Take care what you wish for, Mr Pee. In my view, everyone who votes for hanging should be required to watch several such events. Barbarian!

Comment

• amateur51

Mr Pee can't - he just whinges and whines then takes his bat home

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

I blame the EU
                    it's all their fault !!!

All I meant really was that there is a pretence of representation
                    politicians represent

1: Themselves and their place in history (Blair wants a chapter not a footnote)
                    2: Their mates
                    3: Their party
                    4: maybe the people who vote for them
                    5: Their constituents who didn't vote for them ....... (seldom have any representation)

which is fine as long as one is aware of this ......

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Mr Pee can't - he just whinges and whines then takes his bat home
                      Turn it in, Amsy! That sort of stuff is for a PM to Mr Pea!

Comment

• amateur51

Yes, Mr Pee? A link to some research into attitudes to capital punishment among a very small sample of UK citizens. Why do you wish to bring it to our attention?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

'Ang on. They don't represent parts of the country, they represent the inhabitants in the carved up country. Much of their time is spent acting for constituents individually when they have specific problems. The best are called 'good constituency MPs', not good representatives. Legislating is something different, and if they have a party label and have been voted in on that, they will be expected to observe the party whip unless it's a free vote. Not do something else that their own constituents decide they want.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            'Ang on. They don't represent parts of the country, they represent the inhabitants in the carved up country. Much of their time is spent acting for constituents individually when they have specific problems. The best are called 'good constituency MPs', not good representatives. Legislating is something different, and if they have a party label and have been voted in on that, they will be expected to observe the party whip unless it's a free vote. Not do something else that their own constituents decide they want.
                            'ang on, surely - even at the start of a sentence?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

'ang on, surely - even at the start of a sentence?
                              Certainly not. I'm a stickler for punctuation.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X