X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miles Coverdale
    Late Member
    • Dec 2010

I heard that they did Byrd Great Service and Jesu, meine Freude on the 15th Evening. Evensong took 1 hr 20 mins. and the Dean missed his dinner in Hall. Allegedly.
    My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

mw963

I offer you my wholehearted apology for the 'trick question'. No malice was intended! We should all co-exist in 'perfect diapason' on this forum.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Keraulophoe,

Nice story!

I am not a fan of electronic organs, but when (about 25 years ago) a brand new brick and glass Methodist church was built near us, it was announced that they could not afford a new organ. They were thinking of having the unspeakable old heap of a pipe organ from the old church 'rebuilt' in the new one. It would have been an aesthetic disaster both visually and musically. I suggested they contact Copeman Hart, and the result is that they have one of the best, most convincing and utterly reliable electronic instruments I've come across. It is beautifully 'voiced' to the building, the pedal speakers having their own brick-built chambers....a collaboration between C-H and the architect. It is a joy to play and very convincing to listen to.

Comment

• Vile Consort
          • Nov 2010

A friend of mine who sings bass at Blackburn Cathedral told me that when the organ was being rebuilt some years ago, an electronic substitute was installed and some of the speakers were placed immediately behind the choir stalls.

Following a particularly loud passage, the choirman next to him, a high court judge, turned and whispered, "I don't know about you, but I could feel my testicles vibrating there".

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Tmi ?

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by chitreb View Post
              A quality CE. I thought the BBC must have mixed up the tapes and played a cathedral choir. Assuming entry to this school is not by "voice trial" it just shows what a good DoM can do with young voices. The lower parts who joined in the hymns were pretty decent too (in light of CW's comments above were the local Lay Clerks lending a hand?). Only slight concern for me was what seemed to be a timing issue between the upper and lower voices in the last hymn.
              citireb

This was indeed quality singing. The boys technique was superb. You can certainly hear Barry Rose's hand in both this and the choice of repertoire. Great credit to the choir director he should have had a cathedral post with the ability to train boys like that.

Lower voices? It was a service for upper voices as the announcer said. The hymn was no doubt sung by the boys and masters.

Ardcarp.

This is the only broadcast that I can remember from Bramdean? Must have missed it somehow.

VCC

Comment

• mw963
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                mw963

I offer you my wholehearted apology for the 'trick question'. No malice was intended! We should all co-exist in 'perfect diapason' on this forum.
                Thank you. For my part I think perhaps my sense of humour stop wasn't operating at full wind pressure yesterday.....

Comment

Working...
                X