• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Targeting of individuals

Could we please have a moratorium on posts that repeatedly target the same member?

This doesn't preclude robust dissection of the topics and arguments presented, but I would like to see an end to the various references including The Professor, Nutwood, work at the FCO, unnamed friends in high places &c.

If you know what I'm talking about - this message is for you!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

An excellent suggestion, ff.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Could we please have a moratorium on posts that repeatedly target the same member?

This doesn't preclude robust dissection of the topics and arguments presented, but I would like to see an end to the various references including The Professor, Nutwood, work at the FCO, unnamed friends in high places &c.

If you know what I'm talking about - this message is for you!
      Would this scheme include reference to 'the left', 'lefties', 'Grauniad readers' etc?

Works both ways, ff

Comment

• amateur51

This doesn't preclude robust dissection of the arguments presented, but I would like to see an end to the various references including The Professor, Nutwood, work at the FCO, unnamed friends in high places &c.

I shall post this also on Announcements.
        Would this scheme include reference to 'the left', 'lefties', 'Grauniad readers' etc?

Works both ways, ff

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Works both ways, ff
          Indeed

am I allowed to say "a big boy did it and ran away" ?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I have an incredible sense of Déjà vu

spooky

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Works both ways, ff
              But these don’t work as ‘aka’. I think there is a difference.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Does this include totally unwarranted attacks on SMP?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  Indeed

am I allowed to say "a big boy did it and ran away" ?
                  We'll end up with a style book, I know we will

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Works both ways, ff
                    References to 'lefties' and 'Grauniad readers' irritate me too - but they don't target specific individuals. It's also one against many which isn't bullying. Several against one is bullying. It's also counterproductive if you read the signals from other members. Verb. sap. sat.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

anton,

Surely it should include time-off when you have a new puppy ?

Comment

• amateur51

References to 'lefties' and 'Grauniad readers' irritate me too - but they don't target specific individuals. It's also one against many which isn't bullying. Several against one is bullying. It's also counterproductive if you read the signals from other members. Verb. sap. sat.
                        For information I do feel bullied by this member and his constant referring to you - you are assuming that one can't bully several

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Does this include totally unwarranted attacks on SMP?
                          No, it only includes other members of the forum

If FoR3 had been constantly 'torturing' RW (as was recently alleged ), I don't think he would have been so willing to defend us at St Peter's College. Our line it that we don't personalise our criticisms. I propose to transcribe the bit from the RW interview, and I'll point out where what the chairman said was mistaken. There's no need to name names.

Same goes for presenters ...

Comment

• scottycelt

I totally agree with the idea of being civil to one another, though it might be somewhat difficult to substitute another general term for 'the left' ? I often use the terms 'leftist' and 'liberal-left' and if any member is truly offended by these I'll cease the practice immediately.

I'm also perfectly aware that this is not the real and very valid point made by french frank, which I fully support ...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                              I totally agree with the idea of being civil to one another, though it might be somewhat difficult to substitute another general term for 'the left' ? I often use the terms 'leftist' and 'liberal-left' and if any member is truly offended by these I'll cease the practice immediately.

What about 'people with whom I traditionally disagree' scotty

Comment

Working...
                              X