X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    offered his services, freely, for a music festival. Perhaps he thought if he wasn't paid a permit wasn't necessary ?
    I was about to make the same point. Would "compering" be considered journalistic activity [if that is the criteria] ?
    ........... but Zimbabwe probably doesn't bother with such niceties ...........

EDIT - salymap you did well to find something on the BBC website - I can't find anything
    EDIT - ah http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18220104
    Last edited by mercia; 26-05-12, 17:06.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      According to BBCNews, accessed from my BBC weather page, Petroc has relatives out there and offered his services, freely, for a music festival. Perhaps he thought if he wasn't paid a permit wasn't necessary ?
      Thanks for the additional info salymap; however I do think that the FCO advice was sufficiently clear - sort out your paperwork before you leave.

With luck it'll be a storm in a teacup.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I agree Lats - and I repeat - if everyone knows that it's a dodgy country to visit, why did he go and why did he have no relevant paperwork?

Later: Nice posting Lats - I was just going to check FCO site
        I hope that this will bring a bit more fine Zimbabwean sounds to drivetime R3 courtesy of Mr T.
        He's bound to have encountered some after a weekend in Harare stir.

High quality audio on this rip from a VCD I picked up in Maputo, Mozambique. I think the original must have been a VHS as you can see the tracking errors du...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 18:10.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

I never cease to be amazed at the venom some posters have for R3 presenters but am glad that the emphasis has shifted away from the 'humour' of this situation to finding out the facts.

I hope PT comes home safe and sound.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 18:10.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                I never cease to be amazed at the venom some posters have for R3 presenters but am glad that the emphasis has shifted away from the 'humour' of this situation to finding out the facts.

I hope PT comes home safe and sound.
                I agree with everything you say. There are some on here. unlike the late and much lamented Chris Newman, who I would never like to meet.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 18:11.

Comment

• Mahlerei

I imagine even a brief spell in a Zimbabwe prison would be pretty unpleasant, so I'm with those who don't see the humour in this.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      It is a great pity that people are putting forward arguments in this way and dragging in a man who is having his funeral too. Very, very low imho.
                      Lats, I'm not sure how to read your last couple or three posts as you seem to be changing tack. Do you think that PT's situation is at all humorous or not? That he was careless in a country where you shouldn't be careless goes without saying. To wish him ill is beneath contempt.

Comment

• Curalach

It is a great pity that people are putting forward arguments in this way and dragging in a man who is having his funeral too. Very, very low imho.
                        I see you have changed your posting, without admitting to an edit, and have sent me a PM with your previous comment. It was not specifically aimed at you but as a Host your contributions to this thread fall far short of what I consider to be acceptable. Chris was my friend and I will not accept comments from you on the matter.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 18:11.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 18:12.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

People deal with situations in different ways. Humour is one way. Some might think it inappropriate and it is wholly their right to do so - of course it is - but in the vast majority of cases it really isn't venom.
                              Isn't it? The subtext beneath some poster's comments on PT's predicament is that he's a rotten presenter and a spell in a Zimbabwe cell will do him a world of good. It is not for us, who are not in the predicament, to see the humour in the situation as it does not affect us personally. I doubt if PT finds it funny.

In the 4 years since being on these boards (and the former BBC ones) I have read some comments on presenters, notably PT and KD, that can indeed be classed as venom.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                Isn't it? The subtext beneath some poster's comments on PT's predicament is that he's a rotten presenter and a spell in a Zimbabwe cell will do him a world of good. It is not for us, who are not in the predicament, to see the humour in the situation as it does not affect us personally. I doubt if PT finds it funny.

In the 4 years since being on these boards (and the former BBC ones) I have read some comments on presenters, notably PT and KD, that can indeed be classed as venom.
                                I agree with everything you say.

Comment

Working...
                                X