• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    Since Sky Arts is part of the standard Sky package of channels,
    So it might be, but how many of board members subscribe to Sky? I wouldn't have thought that it was a 'huge' number.

As many have observed, Sky is a hugely convenient method of receiving television and radio.
    So is Freeview - & you don't have to pay for it (as it's name suggests)

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Just pausing to reflect on Sky Arts' quality programming, whose idea is it to broadcast two performances of Mahler symphonies one after another for 5 evenings, one after another?

You can imagine the programming meeting ...

"Oh as you've got the box out Trev, just put a fresh disc in every evening at 20:00 and you can get on with your SuDoKu"

You know, Amateur, your deliberately snide and provocative contributions to any thread relating to Sky Arts are becoming beyond tiresome. I can pretty much guarantee that if BBC TV decided to do the same- (dream on)- you wouldn't offer a word of criticism. I, probably along with most other Sky viewers,will record these performances anyway, and then watch them as and when I like. I may also settle down on an evening or two and watch one or both symphonies as they are broadcast. That will be my choice but at least I will have that choice. Would that the BBC would give me such a dilemma.

If you have nothing more constructive to offer to this thread then stay away.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Give Pee his rattle back, A51. You know he'll just skweem and skweem without it.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

It's a relief that people like Bryn and Am.51 are prepared to offer sanity, common sense and technical accuracy to a thread like this.

Sky supporters, why such brittle aggression? "Keep off our patch" you say... what are you so insecure about, I wonder?

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            It's a relief that people like Bryn and Am.51 are prepared to offer sanity, common sense and technical accuracy to a thread like this.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

OK, now that I've picked myself up off the floor, Jayne, please, do try and explain in what way Am51 and Bryn are offering sanity and common sense, rather than simply derailing a perfectly reasonable thread about forthcoming TV broadcasts of classical music.

For example:-

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Give Pee his rattle back, A51. You know he'll just skweem and skweem without it.
              or:-

Take no notice Flossie - his farmers are probably playing up
              or:-

Just pausing to reflect on Sky Arts' quality programming, whose idea is it to broadcast two performances of Mahler symphonies one after another for 5 evenings, one after another?

You can imagine the programming meeting ...

"Oh as you've got the box out Trev, just put a fresh disc in every evening at 20:00 and you can get on with your SuDoKu"

In what way do these juvenile ramblings add common sense, sanity, or technical accuracy to the thread? Please enlighten us.....

Mark Twain.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

Give a man enough emoticons, and he will most surely...

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Give a man enough emoticons, and he will most surely...

And in answer to the question in my previous post?

Mark Twain.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    And in answer to the question in my previous post?
                    Well Mr. Pee, you're certainly living up to your reputation... but selective quotation is a fairly transparent tactic.

I'm sure you'd be the perfect gentleman at dinner though.
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-05-12, 01:12.

Comment

• Panjandrum

There are already several (sic) anti-Murdoch threads on this forum where the self-appointed guardians of morality can spout their sanctimonious piffle until the cows come home. Is it unreasonable to ask that this thread be left to those of us who are Sky subscribers and might just be interested in discussing, in a civilised manner, its many and various musical and artistic delights?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Sky supporters, why such brittle aggression? "Keep off our patch" you say... what are you so insecure about, I wonder?
                        Jayne, your posts are usually a model of pertinence (If not brevity). However, I don't think that even his greatest friends (if he indeed has any) would describe Shamateur as having either "commonsense" or "technical accuracy". As to "sanity" that has long since departed, by his own admission.

ATTOP, it's nothing to do with being "insecure". This is a thread which started as a discussion of classical music on Sky Arts. How can the "contributions" of Hammy and Flosshilde possibly be said to add anything of value, since neither presumably will be watching or listening to Sky, unless they are the greatest hypocrites on the planet (which I don't rule out BTW. )? Bryn, I grant you, knows his onions, and I have no problem with him pointing out the technical deficiencies of broadcasters, although he could cut down on the ad hom stuff without lessening the strength of his arguments.
                        Last edited by Guest; 23-05-12, 07:25.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

May I add support to the views expressed by Panjandrum in his two postings earlier this morning.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Your examples of other 'restricted' fora relate to programmes broadcast on Radio 3, which we all have access to, & any alerts (heads-up?) about particular programmes could be of interest to any users of the Board. I wonder how many users have access to Sky Arts 2? Would it perhaps be equally, or more, effective for Mr Pee to notify subscribers of up-coming programmes by private messaging? Then you could be truly exclusive.
                            No response to this perfectly sensible suggestion yet.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              No response to this perfectly sensible suggestion yet.
                              Sorry, Floss. I'm afraid I gave up reading the thread last night, as I like to go to bed in an equable mood.

In response to your proposal, I'm not sure why Sky Arts programming should be so marginalised, given that it is a national broadcaster with 10 million subscribers. In fact, there may be many who are not currently Sky subscribers who will see what Sky is offering and then compare that with the BBC's output and decide that they wish to take out a subscription to the former.

Moreover, there are many threads on this forum which are of interest to only a select few. Indeed, there are many posts which are off topic and of interest to maybe only the poster. If Sky Arts seriously offends you, why read these threads? As I said above, there are already several threads where people like yourself can sound off against the Murdoch regime. Why can't you be content with that, and leave those of us with a perfectly reasonable interest in the serious arts programming which Sky provides to ourselves? Now, perhaps you can remind me what the BBC's latest contribution to serious television arts broadcasting is? Oh yes, let me see, Maestro at the Opera.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Perhaps I should have said "No sensible response to this suggestion yet."

Comment

Working...
                                X