X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

I don't really know how I am supposed to alert readers to forthcoming programmes on Sky arts without advertising- sorry, mentioning- the broadcaster. You could equally say that discussion of Essential Classics is advertising that programme. You seem to take any mention of Sky as an advert.

This thread started off as a perfectly reasonable alert to other viewers of a broadcast of complete Mahler symphonies, which were it on the BBC I'm sure would generate much discussion, although I am sure without the sniping that has tarnished this one.

A perfectly simple alert, without any puffery? -

No wonder The Guardian recently said that "Sky Arts is increasingly proving itself the place to find the most interesting and innovative arts programming.”

Comment

• Panjandrum

Tell us, dear Flosshilde, are all your purchases Fair Trade?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Ask Sky for your own forum with Panyan, Mr Pee.

Then I won't have to give it a rest

Cos you'll be elsewhere
        Tell me Hammy, were you known as The Fly at school; cos you're always buzzing around making an infernal pest of yourself where you're not wanted.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Jayne, your posts are usually a model of pertinence (If not brevity). However, I don't think that even his greatest friends (if he indeed has any) would describe Shamateur as having either "commonsense" or "technical accuracy". As to "sanity" that has long since departed, by his own admission.

ATTOP, it's nothing to do with being "insecure". This is a thread which started as a discussion of classical music on Sky Arts. How can the "contributions" of Hammy and Flosshilde possibly be said to add anything of value, since neither presumably will be watching or listening to Sky, unless they are the greatest hypocrites on the planet (which I don't rule out BTW. )? Bryn, I grant you, knows his onions, and I have no problem with him pointing out the technical deficiencies of broadcasters, although he could cut down on the ad hom stuff without lessening the strength of his arguments.
          But PJ, this is again very prescriptive and defensive, and a bit ad hom. itself, isn't it? Can't you just relax a little among your own choices?

Ams' point, which he's just been re-emphasising, is simply that anyone can broadcast a set of discs, there's nothing especially remarkable or special in that kind of programming - the various Arts webcasters like medici depend on it, and it can be more or less good value depending on your taste or habits. Radio 3's (almost unique) distinctiveness comes from the large proportion of live events, and original musical compositions, which it commissions and broadcasts. It also has far better sound than most, if not all, other such web- or broadcasters.

One reason this is all a hot issue is the reduction in BBC funding from a government which has self-evidently favoured Murdoch enterprises - as the Blair/Brown regimes did. That in itself is the reason for discussions like this.
          BTW. Pee and PJ, do Sky commission original concerts or compositions? I simply don't know.

But the media world isn't simple - I subscribe to the Guardian and have of course relished their revelations about Murdoch and their associates, but I have no problem with their promoting and writing about Sky/Satellite only programmes like the forthcoming Girls or Mad Men, even though I don't subscribe to Sky and won't see them. (Often, they're written about SO extensively I feel I don't have to...)

Looking back at the thread, I would say to you and Pee, look, lay back a bit and don't take the bait so fast. Recognise that the Sky/BBC etc. thing is a very live issue. And just enjoy what you want.

PS. Sorry PJ., I'll try to work on the brevity thing, really...

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

jlw, I don't know what the situation is now, but towards the end of my subscription to Sky they acted as sponsors for the E.N.O. and had special ticket offers for their productions. I have a feeling they do commission the occasional work.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I would just like to disown any responsibility for starting this thread.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                I've got a new nickname for you: Pontius Pilate.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  do Sky commission original concerts or compositions? I simply don't know.
                  I don't know either but I'm certain that, if ever they do, it's the exception rathr than the rule, which is by no means the case with BBC, even today - but I somehow imagine that Mr Pee may not mind too much about that, since a lack of direct support for nasty modern music is unlikely to be something that exercises him overmuch (although I apologise unreservedly if I'm wrong about that).

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

Well you were the one who sent the original thread downhill with your childish comment, so I hope you will at least take responsibility for that.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Well you were the one who sent the original thread downhill with your childish comment, so I hope you will at least take responsibility for that.
                      Don't hold your breath Mr Pee. Taking responsibility for one's comments does not seem very popular around these parts.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I moved this thread to Platform 3 on the grounds that there might just be some serious point to discuss, a sort of Moral Maze. If it seems that there isn't, I'll move it to Diversions where only bona fide registered, logged in members are able to see the evidence of internecine warfare.

As for who started this thread, I claim responsibility. ME. I did it. But there's no way I know of to insert a post into timed messages to make mine the top one.

'Mornin' all!
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I moved this thread to Platform 3 on the grounds that there might just be some serious point to discuss, a sort of Moral Maze.

'Mornin' all!
                          So who's Melanie Philips then?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

The phrase "self-righteous" was invented for you, I think, Mr Pee.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Oh no, I think there are others far more deserving.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Oh that's a great injustice to Panyan I feel - E for effort at the very least

Comment

Working...
                                X