Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

The BSkyB argument thread

Isn't BSB wonderful, giving a home to worn-out old hacks
  • Panjandrum

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Isn't BSB wonderful, giving a home to worn-out old hacks
    Are you trolling? Given this thread is for Sky subscribers, in the same way as the Hear and Now thread is for contemporary music afficionados and the Early Music thread ditto, I can't think of any other reason for your intrusion, since presumably you have no intention of seeing these broadcasts?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

No, absolutely not - just adding my voice to the chorus of praise for BSB.

I didn't realise that there were restrictions on who could visit certain threads

Comment

• amateur51

No, absolutely not - just adding my voice to the chorus of praise for BSB.

I didn't realise that there were restrictions on who could visit certain threads
        Take no notice Flossie - his farmers are probably playing up

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Given this thread is for Sky subscribers
          How very exclusive
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

As a Host, I can assure you that there are no such restrictions.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Take no notice Flossie - his farmers are probably playing up
              No - I'm going of in a huff - well, maybe a minute & a huff. I wouldn't dream of sullying their best of all possible worlds.

Comment

• amateur51

Just pausing to reflect on Sky Arts' quality programming, whose idea is it to broadcast two performances of Mahler symphonies one after another for 5 evenings, one after another?

You can imagine the programming meeting ...

"Oh as you've got the box out Trev, just put a fresh disc in every evening at 20:00 and you can get on with your SuDoKu"

Comment

• amateur51

No - I'm going of in a huff - well, maybe a minute & a huff. I wouldn't dream of sullying their best of all possible worlds.
                  Most candidely put, Flossie

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    As a Host, I can assure you that there are no such restrictions.
                    There's also a forum by-law that inflammatory and off-topic posts will be removed. Perhaps you would be so good as to explain how certain posters with a known antipathy to Sky can possibly contribute in a meaningful way to a discussion about Sky Arts programming, as I'm afraid I can't see it.

Comment

• amateur51

There's also a forum by-law that inflammatory and off-topic posts will be removed. Perhaps you would be so good as to explain how certain posters with a known antipathy to Sky can possibly contribute in a meaningful way to a discussion about Sky Arts programming, as I'm afraid I can't see it.
                      While the resident setter-of-standards is in action, I thought I'd mention that I think this post would have been better sent as a private message.

Unless of course there is an element of showing off involved

I wouldn't blame EA if he were to respond in private

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

can possibly contribute in a meaningful way to a discussion about Sky Arts programming,
                        But I was contributing to it, by responding to the comment about MB having found a home. I thought that my comment was very meaningful.

Oh dear - I've just remembered that I said I was off.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Given this thread is for Sky subscribers, in the same way as the Hear and Now thread is for contemporary music afficionados and the Early Music thread ditto
                          Your examples of other 'restricted' fora relate to programmes broadcast on Radio 3, which we all have access to, & any alerts (heads-up?) about particular programmes could be of interest to any users of the Board. I wonder how many users have access to Sky Arts 2? Would it perhaps be equally, or more, effective for Mr Pee to notify subscribers of up-coming programmes by private messaging? Then you could be truly exclusive.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

There is such a rule. Inflammatory posts should be reported in the usual way. Slightly provocative posts can be annoying but are not often imflammatory, though I hope fellow posters will avoid winding people up for no good reason.
                            "Off-topic" is harder to define. Some might argue that talking about the Sky Arts channels is off-topic on a Radio 3-related forum. But that would be taking things to extreme.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              Since Sky Arts is part of the standard Sky package of channels, I imagine huge numbers of "users" have access to it. As many have observed, Sky is a hugely convenient method of receiving television and radio.

May I say that I think it rather tasteless to be making adverse comments about Melvin Bragg. Surely few have made a greater contribution to the televising of the arts over the past 35 years. Fortunately he is still going strong.
                              People might feel more inclined to take your plaint seriously had you called him by his correct first name

Comment

Working...
                              X