X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Little Richard 05/12/1932 to 09/05/2020

"Little Richard, a founding father of rock and roll whose fervent shrieks, flamboyant garb, and joyful, gender-bending persona embodied the spirit and sound of that new art form, died Saturday. He was 87. The musician’s son, Danny Jones Penniman, confirmed the pioneer’s death to Rolling Stone, adding that the cause of death was cancer.

Starting with “Tutti Frutti” in 1956, Little Richard cut a series of unstoppable hits – “Long Tall Sally” and “Rip It Up” that same year, “Lucille” in 1957, and “Good Golly Miss Molly” in 1958 – driven by his simple, pumping piano, gospel-influenced vocal exclamations and sexually charged (often gibberish) lyrics."

I met Richard briefly after a show in Cardiff in 1963 (Bo Diddley, the Everley Brothers, the Stones, a "remarkable bill"). He was quite something, and yes, not "jazz" but so many people of my age and tastes came to jazz off the back of his and Fats Domino's etc records and their great little bands, New Orleans based. RIP indeed. BN.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Little Richard 05/12/1932 to 09/05/2020

Richard Wayne Penniman, known to anyone with any interest in rock ‘n’ roll over the last 65 years, as Little Richard. Hendrix was in his backing band, and he influenced many pop/rock musicians and groups such as the Beatles, Hollies, Swinging Blue Jeans, Tom Jones others learning their trade in the 60s. Often outrageous. RIP Little Richard

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      "Little Richard, a founding father of rock and roll whose fervent shrieks, flamboyant garb, and joyful, gender-bending persona embodied the spirit and sound of that new art form, died Saturday. He was 87. The musician’s son, Danny Jones Penniman, confirmed the pioneer’s death to Rolling Stone, adding that the cause of death was cancer.

Starting with “Tutti Frutti” in 1956, Little Richard cut a series of unstoppable hits – “Long Tall Sally” and “Rip It Up” that same year, “Lucille” in 1957, and “Good Golly Miss Molly” in 1958 – driven by his simple, pumping piano, gospel-influenced vocal exclamations and sexually charged (often gibberish) lyrics."

I met Richard briefly after a show in Cardiff in 1963 (Bo Diddley, the Everley Brothers, the Stones, a "remarkable bill"). He was quite something, and yes, not "jazz" but so many people of my age and tastes came to jazz off the back of his and Fats Domino's etc records and their great little bands, New Orleans based. RIP indeed. BN.
      Beat me by a minute Bluesnik, Host please combine threads!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

An amazing performer. Nobody quite like him, pushing the boundaries wherever he found them I guess.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• zola
          • May 2011

Three threads now, see World Music !

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

http://youtu.be/8SlOj_-_rTI Richard's screen test for "The Girl can't help it" movie, 1956...

BN.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              An amazing performer. Nobody quite like him, pushing the boundaries wherever he found them I guess.

Spot on - totally changed my attitude to rock - what a performer!! Unrivalled, IMO

Comment

Working...
              X