• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

'From the New Season ...'

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
    I've been professionally-trained as an arts policy analyst with experience in orchestral management, the music industry, and the nonprofit sector. I
    It seems that every time cavatina posts, we learn of yet another side of her remarkable many-faceted career.

It beats me how she's had time to do all these things, even using all three of her personae which have featured here.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I disagree with much of what cavatina has said on this subject, but I don't think criticism is helped in any way by the increasingly ad hominem attacks.

S-A

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Or in advancing serious discussion, 'Mud thrown is ground lost.'
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Panjandrum

And Petroc Trelawny on Breakfast? BWAHAHAHA! Oh my God, now THAT'S my idea of comedy. And when is Mister Elegant Socks going to leave, anyway? Shouldn't he be off serving teacakes at a cricket match or something?
        I'm afraid once you start descending to the level of ad hominem attacks you've lost any sympathy I had for your point of view.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          I'm afraid once you start descending to the level of ad hominem attacks you've lost any sympathy I had for your point of view.
          Join the sheep if you must, but that, as you surely must know, is a misreading of cavatina's message.

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            It seems that every time cavatina posts, we learn of yet another side of her remarkable many-faceted career.

It beats me how she's had time to do all these things, even using all three of her personae which have featured here.
            Because I've been a staff cuts victim more times than I care to remember, and I've done many of them at the same time: (i.e. earned my combined degree BA/MA in philosophy at the same time as I did a double major in philosophy and studio art while I worked in the music library; worked at Delos Records at the same time I was interning at the Los Angeles Philharmonic; wrote classical music reviews for the Glendale News Press at the same time I was working at the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, taught myself music theory by reading Hindemith while I was working at the USC School of Music for a year--where I also took advantage of the free classes for staff; was at the California Association of Nonprofits when I was approached to provide analytic research support for a Pew Foundation arts policy study at the RAND Corporation (where I took three years of policy analysis PhD coursework gratis during my contract employment there); took a night class at Julliard when I was working as a contract research analyst for an investment banking consultancy, on and on.

I've alluded to every last one of these jobs and interests in posts I've made over the past year and a half, minus the names of the employers. If you like, you're welcome to pore over my posting history and dig them all up as a kind of verification. And if you can read all that and still come away believing I have "the mind of a marketer", then I think it says far more about your lack of ability to read people than it does anything about me. And trust me, that's not all I've done by any means.

In sum, you're damned right I'm multi-faceted. In fact, as I've been waiting in the Proms queue, I've been reading a book of essays by Charles Lamb, doing an enormous amount of writing of my own in a little black notebook-- and just this afternoon, I bought a bunch of artists' canvas because I'm painting in my free time during my stay here. A big old value-pack of six wrapped up in a bag with "Cass Art London" plain as day in red and white; ask anyone who knows me from the queue. Plenty of people noticed it.

What can I say? I'm older than I look, don't watch TV (didn't even have one for years until my friends bought me one), always feel like I have to be learning something new, and have all the energy and vitality of a natural-born adrenaline-addled hypomanic. Some people have more drive than others, I guess.

Oh yeah, and you want to know one thing I never did? I definitely didn't waste my time arguing with hateful people on message boards. Thanks for the reminder.

Are there no moggies in distress to distract you, cavatina, no skips to rummage in?
            Well, I was going to say something incredibly cruel and rude, but you know what? I'm sure you're right: being kind to cats and rummaging skips would certainly be more satisfying and rewarding than this. What wouldn't be a better use of time than this?

But actually, I think I'll spend the rest of the evening I would have spent on you people reading about carnatic music instead. I've just returned from the world music prom with Aruna Sairam and enjoyed it so much I was absolutely floating on air...full of life and spirit.

Catch you later in the other threads sometime.
            Last edited by Guest; 28-07-11, 04:43.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

I would post my CV here but it's really not as impressive as the foregoing

I have a bag with Co-Op written on it (plastic)
              Last edited by mercia; 28-07-11, 07:33.

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Well, that's us telt (told), as we say in Scotland.

mercia, my bag (plastic) is from Tesco.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Oh yeah, and you want to know one thing I never did? I definitely didn't waste my time arguing with hateful people on message boards. Thanks for the reminder.
                  Don't you ever think it might be you?

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                    my bag (plastic) is from Tesco.
                    I do so dislike oneupmanship

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Because I've been a staff cuts victim more times than I care to remember, and I've done many of them at the same time: (i.e. earned my combined degree BA/MA in philosophy at the same time as I did a double major in philosophy and studio art while I worked in the music library; worked at Delos Records at the same time I was interning at the Los Angeles Philharmonic; wrote classical music reviews for the Glendale News Press at the same time I was working at the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, taught myself music theory by reading Hindemith while I was working at the USC School of Music for a year--where I also took advantage of the free classes for staff; was at the California Association of Nonprofits when I was approached to provide analytic research support for a Pew Foundation arts policy study at the RAND Corporation (where I took three years of policy analysis PhD coursework gratis during my contract employment there); took a night class at Julliard when I was working as a contract research analyst for an investment banking consultancy, on and on.

I've alluded to every last one of these jobs and interests in posts I've made over the past year and a half, minus the names of the employers. If you like, you're welcome to pore over my posting history and dig them all up as a kind of verification. And if you can read all that and still come away believing I have "the mind of a marketer", then I think it says far more about your lack of ability to read people than it does anything about me. And trust me, that's not all I've done by any means.
                      Cavatina:

Sometimes, less is more.

To quote the words of one of your own politicians: "If you've got nothing to say, don't say it."

As Schopenhauerian and/or Eudaimonia on the BBC message boards, you posted lengthy offerings which had nothing at all to do with Radio 3 or Music. Now you are at it again and I am not surprised that others on this forum are less than happy with your over-lengthy inputs.

Be aware! There are those who will rubbish everything that you say if you do not learn to confine your input to the matter under discussion.

You have now assumed a new identity on a new forum. Try starting from scratch.

Ventilhorn

Comment

• amateur51

Cavatina, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your studying, bargain-finding, studying, saving moggies, studying, rummaging in skips, and your pursuit of knowledge and experience BUT what I find so sad is the fact that you need to keep telling us about it.

It's so desperately RELENTLESS.

I have discovered that after a lifetime of doing much the same (see how easy it is to be concise? ) there is more to life than all this 'achievement and shouting about it to prove I exist' stuff.

Just settle back and .... chill.

You're just unexceptionally fine

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Let's just be fair and recognise that the recent tirade was provoked. I'm closing this thread.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

#21 ...assuming he can understand it!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              #19 scotty, surely there must be something in this post that A51 can take exception to....
                              One awaits, with no little anticipation, for the inevitable extraordinary, eighth ...

Comment

Working...
                              X