X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    So Dominic Cummings really is the blueprint for how you subvert and exploit a group?
    The way the far left infiltrated Labour through the registered supporters scheme and then after Corbyn was elected was his blueprint.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Labour's position would be considerably improved by getting rid of these people

makes a mockery of the whole "Tory Brexit" narrative

The BBC is in the business of entertainment... which is one of the main reasons why we have the Prime Minister we do , he makes good TV and (as RB said) why the odious Farage isn't confined to drunken ranting in his local pub........ what would help is MORE MEDIA STUDIES.... Marshall McLuhan must be spinning in his grave

This today

https://www.rhinegold.co.uk/classica...qJ1gR1dP6t0G-g
      Labour's electoral position would have been absolutely decimated by taking an unconditional " Remain" stance post referendum, leaving the tories an even clearer run at whatever calamities they want to visit on working people. And many Labour members and voters support leave. They can't square that circle by just wanting Leave to go away, even if that is what their remainers would like.

Labour could have imploded, but IMO they are still in their fighting for a good ( or least bad) outcome for working people, even if their tactics don't suite everybody's world view.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        The way the far left infiltrated Labour through the registered supporters scheme and then after Corbyn was elected was his blueprint.
        Oh I know what you mean. In the same way that Thatcherism was the blueprint for Labour and Libdem economic policy for decades ?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Labour's electoral position would have been absolutely decimated by taking an unconditional " Remain" stance post referendum, leaving the tories an even clearer run at whatever calamities they want to visit on working people. And many Labour members and voters support leave. They can't square that circle by just wanting Leave to go away, even if that is what their remainers would like.

Labour could have imploded, but IMO they are still in their fighting for a good ( or least bad) outcome for working people, even if their tactics don't suite everybody's world view.

Leaving the EU will cause most hardship to those the Labour party claims to care about
          It's very clear that those in charge of the Labour party care more about their party than they do about the country.

And apart from the "working people" what about those who are unable to work ?
          Chucking away their rights to appease the Marxist debating society faction.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Leaving the EU will cause most hardship to those the Labour party claims to care about
            It's very clear that those in charge of the Labour party care more about their party than they do about the country.

And apart from the "working people" what about those who are unable to work ?
            Chucking away their rights to appease the Marxist debating society faction.
            Smileys. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Smileys. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
              Exactly
              It really is so boring to be disabled or unable to work

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                The Labour party has around half a million members. How many of these would you think are far left infiltrators?

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Exactly
                  It really is so boring to be disabled or unable to work
                  I'm really NOT an apologist for anything Labour does . But in a world of apparently limited options, it's pretty easy to see which of our deeply flawed political parties will be the least bad for the most vulnerable and working people.

Ignoring the whole party political thing is a perfectly valid response from those who care about such things , but so is supporting the party that that historically supports those groups best.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    Didn't she tell Andrew Maar that she'd resigned the whip but wasn't leaving the party?
                    I don't know, but her letter of resignation appears to clarify that she has indeed done so - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623727 .

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      I don't know, but her letter of resignation appears to clarify that she has indeed done so - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623727 .
                      What her resignation letter makes clear is that she is declining the Conservative whip in the House of Commons. There is no indication that she has resigned from, or intends to resign from the Conservative Party. The whip treats with parliamentary voting activity, not party membership.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        What her resignation letter makes clear is that she is declining the Conservative whip in the House of Commons. There is no indication that she has resigned from, or intends to resign from the Conservative Party. The whip treats with parliamentary voting activity, not party membership.
                        Fair enough insofar as it goes, but what she has done will surely bar her from representing the Conservative Party? Her majority in her constitutence was in any case very samll and so she might well have been booted out at the next GE anyway.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          This from Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-rudds-walkout
                          After days of agonising over her political future, Amber Rudd knew she would resign as a cabinet minister and a member of the Conservative party on Wednesday night.
                          And this from here https://www.civilserviceworld.com/ar...ive-party-over
                          A Downing Street spokesman said: "We are disappointed to learn that Amber has chosen to leave government and the party.
                          I would hope that the Downing St source at least was correct - although one can no longer assume that will be the case.

I read somewhere that she mentioned joining an independent Conservative party - is that what was meant by 'self-servative' in an earlier post?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            That doesn't really follow, it could just as easily mean they're doing a lousy job overall. But the BBC's constant highlighting of the unelected Farage (appearances on Today, QT etc. etc. etc.) is a matter of record, as is its shabby treatment of Corbyn.
                            Two wrongs don't make a right.
                            I expect interviewers to interrogate their suspects sorry subjects, and this often takes the form of putting a contrary view. It doesn't mean that this is the Beeb's point of view. I don't think it 's a case of two wrongs making a right, that isn't what I meant.

I'm not sure what you mean by the BBC's shabby treatment of Corbyn. He doesn't help himself, clearly doesn't like being interviewed (or indeed questioned) - I remember his car-crash interview with the excellent Emma Barnett, which was down to his being poorly prepared. He just isn't very good at it. Being charmless and humourless doesn't help (see also Theresa May). McDonnell comes across very well on TV. It's part of the job these days. I agree Farage has been over-exposed, but I didn't think this was down to the BBC's being pro-Brexit - is it? I never watch Question Time.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                I agree Farage has been over-exposed, but I didn't think this was down to the BBC's being pro-Brexit - is it? I never watch Question Time.
                                Neither do I. I got tired of QT around 1982.

No I don't think the BBC is pro-Brexit, but in the interests of ratings (presumably) they give a lot of publicity to people who are, which surely goes against their principle of impartiality. With regard to Corbyn, my personal view is that politicians oughtn't to need to be showmen (I would, rather unfashionably, prefer them to be people of integrity), and making this "part of the job" is again something the BBC might be held responsible for to a significant degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X