X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

It’s so depressing. Large parts of the electorate don’t care. Horrid to consider but it’s true. Then consider the effect of the first past the post system. Add in that Tory and Labour will flip flop over a 5 week campaign and there will surely be some quite disgusting xenophobia deployed on both sides, and who knows what the result will be. I would exhort everyone to knock on doors to get the vote out, however that vote may go, but my MP has, literally, 80% of the vote so I will not be on the stump personally and it would be churlish at the very least to ask others to do so.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
      It’s so depressing. Large parts of the electorate don’t care. Horrid to consider but it’s true. Then consider the effect of the first past the post system. Add in that Tory and Labour will flip flop over a 5 week campaign and there will surely be some quite disgusting xenophobia deployed on both sides, and who knows what the result will be. I would exhort everyone to knock on doors to get the vote out, however that vote may go, but my MP has, literally, 80% of the vote so I will not be on the stump personally and it would be churlish at the very least to ask others to do so.
      If there is xenophobia deployed , it will all be from the right.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

And let's take a guess about Ken Clarke at Rushcliffe - Tory, brutally de-whipped, HUGELY popular, experienced, Remainer par excellence, but supposing he stands as an Independent? Can you see him NOT winning?
        And my guess is that this could well be replicated in a number of constituencies, don't you?

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          I disagree. But let’s see, of course.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            And let's take a guess about Ken Clarke at Rushcliffe - Tory, brutally de-whipped, HUGELY popular, experienced, Remainer par excellence, but supposing he stands as an Independent? Can you see him NOT winning?
            And my guess is that this could well be replicated in a number of constituencies, don't you?
            He’s already said he’s not standing again I believe, but that could change in the circs.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

I disagree. But let’s see, of course.
              Where and how would you expect xenophobia manifest itself from the left?
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

I consider the anti semitism in the Labour Party a form of xenophobia fwiw.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I consider the anti semitism in the Labour Party a form of xenophobia fwiw.
                  Fair enough. I would imagine it will be kept well under wraps for the next few weeks though except for old stuff dug out by the tory social media machine.
                  Also fwiw, it really is beyond belief that the tories can make hay on this issue. But they are showing their true colours right now. Very unpleasant stuff going on.

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

Indeed. I think that one effect of the hollowed out middle and increased polarity we now have that no one wanted to discuss or contemplate was quite how vile the extremities are when manifested.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Worth reading regarding antisemitism...

Nobody denies that there are problems with anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry within the Labour Party. Given that anti-Semitism and...

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

https://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.c...nt-you-to.html
                        Excellent link, thanks JK.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          Indeed. It's amazing how many people still come out with the line that Corbyn and/or the party are "riddled with antisemitism" when this has been so comprehensively disproved.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

I don't buy that
                            I don't buy the "antisemtism" smear
                            BUT there are plenty of folks on the "left" of politics who's rabid opposition to the EU couldn't be seen as anything but xenophobic

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                              That was then. Campaign slogan noticed on FB: "His own brother doesn't trust him - why should you?"
                              I think folks need to be a bit careful when doing the "sibing" thing to discredit party leaders

Image credit: YouTube video screenshot. Piers Corbyn Credentials Background Piers Corbyn is an astrophysicist who regularly speaks at climate science denial events. He is founder and director of the weather forecasting company WeatherAction.1Megan Darby. “Meet the sceptics: why science can’t compete with beachballs,” Climate Home News, July 11, 2014. Archived January 23, 2019. Archive.fo URL: […]

Comment

• CGR
                                • Aug 2016

The lib dems might win a lot more seats, in fact thats a certainty. But they are going to be miles behind the big two in seats. The best they can hope for is to be the junior partner in a coalition, or the largest of a group of junior partners.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from all this, and good may yet come of it. Whatever happens, we as a nation really need to learn to respect others’ beliefs and opinions, because, like our own, they are just that. Beliefs, not absolute truths. And we have seen too clearly what happens when we don’t.

( IMO , if they get their act together, the lib dems , Labour and / or the Scots have a good chance of forming a government, especially if they give the tories a couple of weeks more rope).
                                Respecting other peoples political opinions is what normal civilised people do. The problem is with the political zealots who have a religious-like belief.

My Mum used to say "Never discuss religion or politics with friends. You are likely to lose them". Wise words.

Comment

Working...
                                X