• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Unfortunately, very little chance.
    And such a shame that we have learnt nothing about solving the coalition puzzle that Europe has been juggling with for decades.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      No doubt. But so do thousands of others. Or maybe you were aiming at the Hinton Award for irrelevant namedropping.

Curtis Roads was saying the same thing as well

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Curtis Roads was saying the same thing as well
        So what you're saying is that we should put the granular guys in charge...?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

So what you're saying is that we should put the granular guys in charge...?
          I can think of some politicians who would be prime canditates for granulation
          CDP Grainmill (a fine British invention) would be most appropriate

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

CDP Grainmill (a fine British invention) would be most appropriate
            That was one of Trevor's originally, wasn't it? I bought CDP before it became freeware and then never got round to using it. The UltimateGrainer in Cecilia 5.3 is a thing of beauty though. Every now and again I think to myself I ought to sit down and put myself on the learning curve to use CSound or SuperCollider or something to make some granular synthesis software, but something always stops me... generally the need to actually get the music made

What were we talking about? Oh yes. You may not know this, but Jeremy Corbyn actually has some very interesting things to say about microsound.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

That was one of Trevor's originally, wasn't it? I bought CDP before it became freeware and then never got round to using it. The UltimateGrainer in Cecilia 5.3 is a thing of beauty though. Every now and again I think to myself I ought to sit down and put myself on the learning curve to use CSound or SuperCollider or something to make some granular synthesis software, but something always stops me... generally the need to actually get the music made

What were we talking about? Oh yes. You may not know this, but Jeremy Corbyn actually has some very interesting things to say about microsound.

I'd vote for Trevor any day.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

I'd vote for Trevor any day.
                ... and where does Mr Wishart stand on the question of nuclear deterrence?

Need to know, you know!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  That's all very well, but how great might you suppose is the chance of any one party or agreed coalition of parties forming the next government in UK?
                  None, unless people look to what is happening in terms of environmental and local services provison and similar campaigns outside Parliament. Such coalitions are only secure as a consequence of linking up between such campaign initiatives.

I should get out more!

Comment

• johnb
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by CGR View Post
                    The UK rail system is 80% owned by the State already.

Network Rail owns the physical assets such as the permanent way, signalling infrastructure, stations, etc., and is state owned. The rolling stock is owned by private companies.
                    And many of the "private companies" who are train operators are owned by nationalised industries. Just not UK nationalised industries.

Comment

• un barbu
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                      And many of the "private companies" who are train operators are owned by nationalised industries. Just not UK nationalised industries.
                      Indeed. Here in Scotland the railway is run by Abellio, the name chosen by Dutch state railways for their operations in the UK.( Nedrail would have unfortunate resonances north of the border, of course, particularly in the Central, or Buckfast, Belt) As they are making a complete bourach of the business anyway it seems that a 'public' company, or at least this one, is no better than, say, Branson at running a decent rail service.
                      Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
                        Indeed. Here in Scotland the railway is run by Abellio, the name chosen by Dutch state railways for their operations in the UK.( Nedrail would have unfortunate resonances north of the border, of course, particularly in the Central, or Buckfast, Belt) As they are making a complete bourach of the business anyway it seems that a 'public' company, or at least this one, is no better than, say, Branson at running a decent rail service.
                        Given the rather sparse service offered in Scotland, it’s about time a proper integrated system was developed, and none of the nonsense of not allowing passengers to use LNER trains instead of Scotrail on shared routes, particularly when several Scotrail trains have been cancelled and connections missed as a result. Buses and trains should be interchangeable in some areas and routes.

Mention of Branson reminds me. In one of his books he comments adversely on the return of the East Coast rail service back to government, something he said his Virgin services would never do. That was I suppose written before Virgin decided to give up on the West Coast franchise .

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Today, in Norwich, I removed a BXP sticker from a sign in the town centre. It depicted the hideous M. Farage over a banner headline ‘Let’s Get This Done.’

It looked like it had been fixed on fairly thickly, but it yielded easily to my grip. Methinks, there’s a lesson there!

It gave me great satisfaction to bin the offensive object.
                          Last edited by Conchis; 19-09-19, 22:15.

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                            Today, in Norwich, I removed a BXP sticker from a sing in the town centre. It depicted the hideous M. Farage over a banner headline ‘Let’s Get This Done.’

It looked like it had been fixed on fairly thickly, but it yielded easily to my grip. Methinks, there’s a lesson there!

It gave me great satisfaiont to bin the offensive object.
                            Good for you! I have to say I admire the Lib Dems version of 'Let's get this done!' The referendum was only ever advisory so let's not prolong the agony and simply put a stop to the whole nightmare.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                              Good for you! I have to say I admire the Lib Dems version of 'Let's get this done!' The referendum was only ever advisory so let's not prolong the agony and simply put a stop to the whole nightmare.
                              But their policy preference is for a new referendum.

Which would “prolong the agony”.

And of course, they were very keen on having a first referendum not so long ago.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                But their policy preference is for a new referendum.
                                Without further negotiations with the EU on a new agreement, as far as I can see...

Which would “prolong the agony”.

And of course, they were very keen on having a first referendum not so long ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X