X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boilk
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Marks the sunset of the Union we thought we had a place in. And I do NOT mean the EU, but UK.
    The Union effectively came about not by democracy but by default, since the Virgin Queen had no direct successor. And so after four centuries 'normal service' will be resumed?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

If only Sinn Féin could hold an emergency Ard Fheis and push through a pragmatic short term change of stance to take their Westminster seats to help bring down this anti-parliamentary government. It won't happen, of course, but an extra 7 votes would make quite a difference and the 6 counties' Referendum vote would have its representatives in place.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        If only Sinn Féin could hold an emergency Ard Fheis and push through a pragmatic short term change of stance to take their Westminster seats to help bring down this anti-parliamentary government. It won't happen, of course, but an extra 7 votes would make quite a difference and the 6 counties' Referendum vote would have its representatives in place.
        You've got a point about votes, Bryn, and why SF don't use that weapon is a matter for them.
        However, I must take you up on your repeated use of 'The Six Counties' - code with Republicans, who can't say 'Northern Ireland'.
        Secondly, SF have the seats in Parliament, but I voted to Remain, not for SF, in the Referendum ( or, in fact, in any election, ever).

The idea of not being in the EU concerns me more than not being in the UK, now that the UK government is determined to leave. I sympathise with all of you who also feel gutted by current developments. I dread the next stage of this saga.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          UTTERLY SHOCKED.....

Visit BBC News for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories. BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives. Also entertainment, business, science, technology and health news.

Though perhaps not entirely surprised.....It is Civil War without the guns and gunpowder, isn't it?

Oh tempora, oh mores!

Not shocked: this is the Cummings - Johnson agenda. Been on the cards for ever.
          BUT
          like you, I am in deep despair. Did the Tories really, really want this?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Not shocked: this is the Cummings - Johnson agenda. Been on the cards for ever.
            BUT
            like you, I am in deep despair. Did the Tories really, really want this?
            Yes they did
            BUT what is possibly worse is that there are many on the "other side" of politics who are as keen on it as the rabid end of the Tory party.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Yes they did
              BUT what is possibly worse is that there are many on the "other side" of politics who are as keen on it as the rabid end of the Tory party.
              Yes but things are changing - and in any case, THEY are not the ones in charge, which is the elephant in the room, at the moment.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                The evil deed is done. It has received Royal Assent.
                The Queen was never going to deny it, was she? Even if constitutionally possible...She'd become a political player then....

Going to her with such a request absolutely abuses democracy, power, and amounts to political blackmail really....

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

I hope that people will continue to sign the petition, even if effectively in vain: it might at least show the depth of feeling.

Over 500,000 already, and interesting to see on the map where the 'hotbeds' are, York being one!
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 28-08-19, 17:32. Reason: Typos corrected as posted in too much haste: vain not cain (Freudian slip?) and least not leads!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    You've got a point about votes, Bryn, and why SF don't use that weapon is a matter for them.
                    However, I must take you up on your repeated use of 'The Six Counties' - code with Republicans, who can't say 'Northern Ireland'.
                    Secondly, SF have the seats in Parliament, but I voted to Remain, not for SF, in the Referendum ( or, in fact, in any election, ever).

The idea of not being in the EU concerns me more than not being in the UK, now that the UK government is determined to leave. I sympathise with all of you who also feel gutted by current developments. I dread the next stage of this saga.
                    To me, "the 6 counties" better describe the politico-geographic entity than either Northern Ireland or Ulster. After all, the Republic of Ireland extends further north and historically, Ulster comprises 9 counties. However, beyond that, I look forward to the eventual democratically achieved reunification of Ireland and a new friendly relationship between the various nations of these offshore European islands. I would also add that the local Sinn Féin workers were very helpful to me when, on a visit to Belfast in the summer of 1983, I broke my jaw in tripping over a 'sleeping policeman' while visiting there. They swiftly took me to the Royal Victoria and sorted me out with medical care during my recuperation.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      The Queen was never going to deny it, was she? Even if constitutionally possible...She'd become a political player then....

Going to her with such a request absolutely abuses democracy, power, and amounts to political blackmail really....
                      Absolutely right - opportunism of the worst, most unprincipled kind.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Can this thread be merged with mine? I would be most grateful.
                        Done.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Done.
                          Thanks ferney.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Mendacious in the extreme ......... IMVVHO ......

Comment

• un barbu
                                • Jun 2017

I am reminded of G M Young's comment in different but not too different times: "To drag out one's life in a peace that is no peace, knowing that the present times are evil and feeling no assurance that the coming times will be better, is hardly the lot that a man of modest desires would choose for his old age."
                                Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

Working...
                                X