X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Separated at birth ?

Anyone else noted the scary resemblance between David Owen Norris and the ghastly Quentin Letts of the Daiky Mail.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Anyone else noted the scary resemblance between David Owen Norris and the ghastly Quentin Letts of the Daiky Mail.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Would anyone even admit to reading the Daily Wail?
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Just as well they were separated at birth. Norris was evidently nicely brought up, unlike the repulsive Letts.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Q Letts does turn up on TV ("This Week") and he did a series "What's the point of...." e.g the Met Office. The latter no doubt to eliminate as many institutions providing information or services for the public benefit as possible. So that we are thrown in the direction of organs such as the Daily Mail (online and in cat litter tray liner form) for the greater reward of their non-resident-for-tax-purposes owners and the commercial establishment they support.

I think you can tell how I feel about Letts. Owen Norris, on the other hand, provides real insights, intelligent comment as well as having the musical attributes the result of serious study and hard work. I like him very much (I know there are, as is inevitable, detractors who will be along shortly...)

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            I'm glad to say I have never seen the Wail. It's obvious our social spheres have been widely different!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Frau A bought me a Quentin Letts book about dumbing down, which I found very entertaining. It was only when I reached his conclusion, where he expounded upon his solutions to the issues raised, that I began to feel hostile towards him.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                Owen Norris, on the other hand, provides real insights, intelligent comment as well as having the musical attributes the result of serious study and hard work. I like him very much (I know there are, as is inevitable, detractors who will be along shortly...)
                You'll get no detraction from me (see above). He taught a friend of mine at Southampton University, and is spoken of with nothing but admiration, affection and gratitude.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                  You'll get no detraction from me (see above). He taught a friend of mine at Southampton University, and is spoken of with nothing but admiration, affection and gratitude.
                  A few years ago he gave a R3 broadcast on Brahms's Op.118 before a student audience, illustrating with excerpts on the sort of piano JB would have composed the pieces for, followed by a full performance. One remembers such things as his mentioning of a cross-handed passage which would have made the performer turn around so as to eyeball the lady referenced in the passage - quite extraordinary. Though not intended it made me more than previously aware of Brahms as an important link between Schoenberg and JS Bach.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    A few years ago he gave a R3 broadcast on Brahms's Op.118 before a student audience, illustrating with excerpts on the sort of piano JB would have composed the pieces for, followed by a full performance. One remembers such things as his mentioning of a cross-handed passage which would have made the performer turn around so as to eyeball the lady referenced in the passage - quite extraordinary. Though not intended it made me more than previously aware of Brahms as an important link between Schoenberg and JS Bach.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                      Just as well they were separated at birth. Norris was evidently nicely brought up, unlike the repulsive Letts.
                      Repulsive? I find him quite entertainig. He's very funny, too. I don't read newspapers, so if he gets up to different things in the Daily Mail, I wouldn't know (more fool anyone who reads the Daily Mail, it's no better than The Guardian).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        . . . (more fool anyone who reads the Daily Mail, it's no better than The Guardian).
                        I agree. There isn't a British newspaper better than The Guardian.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          More fool you.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Quite, and more fool BO.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Repulsive? I find him quite entertainig. He's very funny, too. I don't read newspapers, so if he gets up to different things in the Daily Mail, I wouldn't know (more fool anyone who reads the Daily Mail, it's no better than The Guardian).
                              How would you know? You don't read newspapers.

Comment

Working...
                              X