X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Who indeed knows? class.......dodgy area !!

is the rise in antisemitism something that is actually apparent to you in London?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Who indeed knows? class.......dodgy area !!

is the rise in antisemitism something that is actually apparent to you in London?
      Across Europe is my gut instinct.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Some Muslims no doubt are not anxious, while others no doubt are. But whatever anecdotes might be adduced in support of one view or another, nobody should in a civilised country in the 21st century be worried about being attacked on account of what someone else of their religion/culture has done. The rest of Europe was quick to rehabilitate ordinary Germans after the Second World War, even though far worse things had been done by Germans; but then they weren't racially or culturally different of course.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Across Europe is my gut instinct.
          Would you say that there is a greater rise in anti semitism than in other forms of intolerance?

My gut reaction , fwiw, is that anti semitism is a much easier and safer areas for politicians to deal with, for the obvious reasons, than other types of prejudice and discrimination.
          I havent heard much from whitehall politicians highlighting the anxieties in the Muslim community.

Edit..and just to address RBs point about anecdotal reference, I do think it can be instructive,but obviously needs using sensitively.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Would you say that there is a greater rise in anti semitism than in other forms of intolerance?
            Hard to say. My gut feel is that anti-semitism is on the rise. Been quite a few attacks on Jews in the last few years, more than I remember there being.

My gut reaction , fwiw, is that anti semitism is a much easier and safer areas for politicians to deal with, for the obvious reasons, than other types of prejudice and discrimination.
            Obvious reasons? What are they?

I havent heard much from whitehall politicians highlighting the anxieties in the Muslim community.
            I think that Jews have been singled out, not muslims. That could be the reason for your perception about Whitehall politicians.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

K
              Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Hard to say. My gut feel is that anti-semitism is on the rise. Been quite a few attacks on Jews in the last few years, more than I remember there being.

Obvious reasons? What are they?

The Holocaust.

I think that Jews have been singled out, not muslims. That could be the reason for your perception about Whitehall politicians.
              Could be . Or perhaps they are following a particular narrative, or taking an easy route.
              i dont know their motives, and I dont know how far Muslim/Jewish communities are in fact suffering attacks and experiencing anxiety.
              but I do know that politicians need questions asking ofnthem, about their actions and motivations.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

K
                Could be . Or perhaps they are following a particular narrative, or taking an easy route.
                i dont know their motives, and I dont know how far Muslim/Jewish communities are in fact suffering attacks and experiencing anxiety.
                but I do know that politicians need questions asking ofnthem, about their actions and motivations.
                A top EU official warns that Europe faces a "huge challenge" in persuading Jews not to emigrate in response to anti-Semitic attacks.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

If you had (as happened to a Jewish friend of mine) been canvassed for the 'survey' that supposedly showed this and was recently widely reported in the press. You might be as furious as he is (and he did get a letter read out on R4 about it) that the supposed 'research' was nothing of the sort and a pile of leading questions badly put together.
                  Which DOESN'T mean that this isn't a problem at all merely that ALL crimes against people from this community can be labelled as such.

The problem with 'gut instinct' is that it's often little more than 'received wisdom'

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    The problem with 'gut instinct' is that it's often little more than 'received wisdom'
                    I was going to say that but you beat me to it. Anyway, gut feelings (and personal anecdotes) shouldn't be used as a substitute for facts. What are the facts with regard to antisemitic attacks in the UK? It wouldn't surprise me if they were increasing; fear and/or loathing of "the other" seems to have become an increasingly accepted part of political discourse, whether it's immigrants or poor people, in many parts of Europe.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      If you had (as happened to a Jewish friend of mine) been canvassed for the 'survey' that supposedly showed this and was recently widely reported in the press. You might be as furious as he is (and he did get a letter read out on R4 about it) that the supposed 'research' was nothing of the sort and a pile of leading questions badly put together.
                      Which DOESN'T mean that this isn't a problem at all merely that ALL crimes against people from this community can be labelled as such.
                      Nah, my instincts are good on this one.

Speak for yourself, yours might be, but mine never are.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

'Gut Instinct' is sometimes our only means of getting at the truth and is based on our previous personal experience of human nature and behaviour. It is the very opposite of 'received wisdom' which is often simplistic nonsense originally emanating from the mouths of social-engineering propagandists and which, therefore, invariably turns out to be completely false.

Of course 'gut instinct' might occasionally let us down, but, as it's based on actual life-experience rather than popular narrative, it has an awful lot more going for it.

Thank goodness for 'gut instinct'!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Gut instinct is to process food and the end resulting product is expelled and in most developed societies gets flushed away.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                            'Gut Instinct' is sometimes our only means of getting at the truth and is based on our previous personal experience of human nature and behaviour. It is the very opposite of 'received wisdom' which is often simplistic nonsense originally emanating from the mouths of social-engineering propagandists and which, therefore, invariably turns out to be completely false.

Of course 'gut instinct' might occasionally let us down, but, as it's based on actual life-experience rather than popular narrative, it has an awful lot more going for it.

This is, i'm afraid, full of utter nonsense.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

'Gut Instinct' is sometimes our only means of getting at the truth
                              No, finding out the facts of the matter is always the only way of getting at the truth. There is no way of knowing the extent to which "gut instinct" consists of received wisdom or comes from some other origin, because by definition it hasn't involved any careful consideration. At various points in history, "gut instinct" told people that the world is flat, that dark-skinned people are inferior and deserve nothing more than to be slaves, and many other example of ignorance and prejudice.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Facts are facts. Gut instincts vary from one person's gut to that of another. Case closed.

In any event, gut instincts are for string players.

Now, where's me coat?...

Comment

Working...
                                X