X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Despina dello Stagno
    • Nov 2012

If Maggie Thatcher gets up your nose

Oh dear. I foresee moral pressure to restrict my listening further.

Of a dozen relevant cds, I should wish to forego only one permanently: some (Monteverdi) are excellent,

Luckily, this one is inviolate (case of mistaken identity)

• pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Okay...

Comment

• Despina dello Stagno
      • Nov 2012

Sailor's songwriter was named Phil Pickett. Not to be confused with Philip Pickett.
      The case of prominent classical musician, Philip Pickett, 63, is just the latest in a series of alleged sexual assaults that has fuelled calls for a public inquiry into historic abuse in British music schools

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Despina dello Stagno View Post
        Sailor's songwriter was named Phil Pickett. Not to be confused with Philip Pickett.
        http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9039206.html
        Pickett seems apt as a solution to getting up one's nose...

[Ed: There have been two queries as to whether this thread can be considered relevant to Early Music on the tenuous grounds that a composer of popular music in the 1970s bears the same name as a practitioner of early music. To be moved to Talking Aboit Music, where Pabs's joke will not be lost to the world. ff]
        Last edited by french frank; 11-12-14, 13:40.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

I guess I can't see the point or relevance of the title to msg 1. Yep, I did watch all 2 mins 40 secs of the video.

Comment

• Despina dello Stagno
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I guess I can't see the point or relevance of the title to msg 1. Yep, I did watch all 2 mins 40 secs of the video.

I was, perhaps over obliquely, trying to pre-empt the sort of crowd that bays for the blood of any recording artist that commits gross moral turpitude, in this case another (after Robert King) pillar of the early music establishment. [at this stage, still allegedly]
            Both the plea, and the request not to throw out the baby with the bathwater have clearly miscarried.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I think 'over obliquely' is an understatement. Were you trying to set up a question for the 'Round Britain Quiz'

& I've no idea where the babies & bathwater come into it

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Only the over obliqueness will save this thread from elimination ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                X