• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

Ignorance isn't bliss.
    Try telling that to the gambolling innocents of Eton Gray observed.

I find Jayne's comments not designed to dispel ignorance, but almost possibly designed to display her own erudition. & stripping away her purple(ish) prose I find her less enlightening than some others who use fewer words, but more to the point.

(In fact I think that most of her comments are an emotional reaction to the music, & say not a great deal more than my own, rather briefer, comments.)

Comment

• Ariosto

KING LEAR:

Pray, do not mock me.
      I am a very foolish fond old man,
      Fourscore and upward, not an hour more nor less.
      And to deal plainly
      I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

Very apt. Shakespeare is always an antidote to pseudo intellectulism and paranoia. Don't quote me on that statement though or HS will have my balls.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Try telling that to the gambolling innocents of Eton Gray observed.

I find Jayne's comments not designed to dispel ignorance, but almost possibly designed to display her own erudition. & stripping away her purple(ish) prose I find her less enlightening than some others who use fewer words, but more to the point.
        Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium.
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Ariosto

I had that problem once and the doctor said it was Gout.

Comment

• Ariosto

I think that's the key - my house isn't big enough to have a room set asside for listening to recorded/broadcast music, so any equipment has to fit in with what makes a comfortable sitting room used for all sorts of things - including listening to music.

I'm afraid I tend to avoid them as they're full of technical detail - of both sorts - that go way beyond my understanding, and prose that tends towards the purplish; my loss, I'm sure.
            I think that makes sense. But then i'm a very old man who is past it, and also one that is born to promote sexism. (I must check, but I think my balls have fallen off ...)

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Did someone mention posts designed to display the poster's erudition?

announce that they're going to go off in a huff, only to be dissuaded by a chorus of 'don't go' from their fan-club. Perhaps that's why they do it- they want the validation (any ideas, Thropps?). It's not a game I can be bothered to play.
              Last edited by Flosshilde; 21-04-14, 19:13.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Please, there is absolutely no reason to make personal criticisms of other members. If you're not interested in what certain people have to say, ignore them. You can quietly put them on your ignore list without making a public announcement about it. Most of what's posted here is beyond my understanding
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Did someone mention posts designed to display the poster's erudition?

Jayne is also one of those posters who don't like their posts being criticised & announce that they're going to go off in a huff, only to be dissuaded by a chorus of 'don't go' from their fan-club. Perhaps that's why they do it- they want the validation (any ideas, Thropps?). It's not a game I can be bothered to play.
                  That's what the Ignore list is for, Flosshilde. You should see who I have on my list...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Online social media is being misused to insult, intimidate and smear staff in schools, says a teachers' union.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Please, there is absolutely no reason to make personal criticisms of other members. If you're not interested in what certain people have to say, ignore them. You can quietly put them on your ignore list without making a public announcement about it. Most of what's posted here is beyond my understanding
                      Cric crac croc!

Comment

• Ariosto

Can someone translate, I'm just a very old muso who is beyond his sell by date? The wife (ha, ha) is about to take me to the vets to have me put down. About bloody time too! If it doesn't happen soon I might become one of them dreaded pseudo intellectuals.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

And I thought all the bank holiday fighting was down Brighton seafront.

Chill to some Reggae guys. Any system will do, just as long as it is LOUD

(actually, come to think of it, I never heard of the sound system guys buying best quality speaker cable,but perhaps they just do it as a matter of course.....)
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 21-04-14, 15:30.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            And I thought all the bank holiday fighting was down Brighton seafront.

Chill to some Reggae guys. Any system will do, just as long as it is LOUD

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

excellent appropriate choice, @Noggo.

"one Love " might have been good, too.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Any chance of less showing-off, boys and perhaps more getting back on-topic?

Comment

Working...
                                X