X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Back on topic, I listened to most of the broadcast via FM last night (joining part way through Cello and Orchestra). When it came to Criss-Cross I was surprised to hear lots of nasty artifacts around the centre of the stereo stage. This morning I accessed the HD Sound option via the iPlayer and such artifacts were quite absent. FM may be (is) a very convenient mode of transmission, but it appears not to be up to scratch when it comes to broadcasting works such at Criss-Cross.

Looking forward to the other 2 'episodes' of this Hear and Now Tectonics series. Don't forget to tune in to Late Junction on Tuesday night to hear more from Hanna Tuulikki.

Fiona Talkington with music from Hanna Tuulikki, Eric Schaefer and Bob Brozman.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      No dying falls in hard contemporary music for him, then.
      Dying falls?

Surely that was Les Kellett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBksyTkwQM

Sorry, way OT

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Dying falls?

Surely that was Les Kellett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBksyTkwQM

Sorry, way OT
        Many, many thanks for that, a51. Les v. Brian/Leon, what could be finer?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Many, many thanks for that, a51. Les v. Brian/Leon, what could be finer?
          classic Saturday afternoon working-class fun from 70s - my mum could quite easily have been the woman helping Les back into the ring (except she never went to Yorkshire ). Give me that over The Boat Race any day

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            classic Saturday afternoon working-class fun from 70s - my mum could quite easily have been the woman helping Les back into the ring (except she never went to Yorkshire ). Give me that over The Boat Race any day
            I now find the whole bout is available, in 3 parts, starting with:

Comment

• Orphical
              • Nov 2011

I don't know about Ken but Tectonics was a darn sight better than the normal fare so called new music groups in Scotland usually programme. Challenging, difficult thought provoking- that kind of thing.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Orphical View Post
                I don't know about Ken but Tectonics was a darn sight better than the normal fare so called new music groups in Scotland usually programme. Challenging, difficult thought provoking- that kind of thing.
                Thank goodness Ilan has maintained his link with the BBCSSO. He's easily one of the best things to happen to to music in the past decade or so. So versatile too, even if I don't, as yet, get on that well with his improvisations:

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Fiona Talkington is including highlights from this Tectonics Festival on Late Junction, this week.

Comment

• Orphical
                    • Nov 2011

Listening to programme 2. I think i must have been very tired at live event because i am enjoying Lucier's Slices.. and especially Szlavnics's Materia/Immateria so much more the second time around.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Is Chiyoko Szlavnics not aware of Fourier Analysis (which every school girl/boy knows) - the absolute bed rock for analysis of sound waves?

She may like the sound of sine waves, which is fair enough, but the intellectual basis of her work seems a joke!

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

Alvin Lucier- music for Cello and resonating small ceramic vessels- I like - fairground attraction? Can't wait for amplified teapot!

Comment

• Orphical
                          • Nov 2011

The Colours of Jellyfish. I love this piece. Does anyone have a recording?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Orphical View Post
                            The Colours of Jellyfish. I love this piece. Does anyone have a recording?
                            I have 2 (including the premier). PM me and I will respond when I get home tonight.

Comment

Working...
                            X