• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Glasgow Tectonics Festival 2013

Three programmes in Hear and Now, starting Saturday 18 May, 10pm:

Robert Worby introduces the first of three extended editions from the Tectonics festival in Glasgow, an event curated by conductor Ilan Volkov in association with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. Among the composers featured are the American sound experimentalist Alvin Lucier and Romanian spectralist Iancu Dumitrescu.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Thanks for the alert, Frenchie. What I have heard from last year's Tectonics in Iceland included some very fine performances indeed. I wish I could have made it up to Glasgow for this year's, but Hear and Now will have to substitute.

Comment

• Orphical
      • Nov 2011

Tectonics was a huge success last week. Very large audiences over both days which prompted The Scotsman critic to comment that there is an audience for hard core new music. Highlights for me from the first programme are include Lucier's Exploration of the House. The most excitement, for me, over the weekend was my introduction to the music of Frank Denyer. His, The Colour of Jellyfish will feature in a later show i hope. The next Tectonic Festival in Glasgow will be the weekend of 10th May 2014.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Frank is a much neglected composer (i'm a little biased as he was my teacher )
        and it's worth seeking out some of his other pieces

the Shakuhachi music he wrote for Yoshikazu Iwamoto is really interesting as are larger scale things
        like The Monkey's Paw etc

I'm waiting for a recording of Marine Residua which is one of my favourites
        (I played conch shell and antelope horn in the first performance)
        there's more here

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Must listen, FF. Alvin Lucier was featured on the Dai Fujikura episode, a few weeks back. I was interested in the slowly modulating pitches - Feldman I guess - but it made my house guest feel ill!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            Must listen, FF. Alvin Lucier was featured on the Dai Fujikura episode, a few weeks back. I was interested in the slowly modulating pitches - Feldman I guess - but it made my house guest feel ill!
            I'm curious about what happens when you play a piece like Bird and Person Dyning on the radio
            as it is one of the most "fragile" forms of music that can be easily destroyed by context
            I've heard it live 4 times (all with the composer performing)
            some times it is utterly sublime and tremendous at other performances it can easily "fail"

worth a listen anyway IMV

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Orphical View Post
              ... The Colour[s] of Jellyfish will feature in a later show i hope. ... .
              Possibly not, as I seem to recall that a performance has been previously broadcast on either Hear and Now, Midnight Oil, or somesuch programme a few years ago. It would, however, very much deserve a further outing if they forget about the earlier broadcast.

[Ah, I now see it is down for this Saturday.]

Oops. Got that wrong. It was an Icelandic radio broadcast of the premier I heard last year.
              Last edited by Bryn; 18-05-13, 10:37. Reason: Link added.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

prompted The Scotsman critic to comment that there is an audience for hard core new music.
                Well yes - all it actually takes is for someone like Ilan to put enough imagination, energy and commitment into it. When you compare what he's doing in Glasgow with almost everything that goes on in equivalent institutions in London, the latter look like dusty old museums with a desperation to look hip.

I don't know Frank Denyer's music at all really. I had an encounter with it many years ago which left me with an impression of something a bit soft-centred in comparison with its obvious influences. Am I wrong about that? What would be something good to listen to?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  What would be something good to listen to?
                  24 bit Jellyfish (Iceland SO/Volkov) on its way to you. Give it about half an hour to upload.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    ... equivalent institutions in London, the latter look like dusty old museums with a desperation to look hip.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      24 bit Jellyfish (Iceland SO/Volkov) on its way to you. Give it about half an hour to upload.
                      Oh thanks, that's very kind of you, I won't be able to download it until tomorrow evening though, because at the moment I'm staying in a hotel with highly dodgy wifi.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Frank Denyer looks very interesting indeed, so thanks, GG - first I'd heard of him, even though he's 2 years older than me.

Comment

• Boilk
                          • Dec 2010

Tectonics was a huge success last week. Very large audiences over both days which prompted The Scotsman critic to comment that there is an audience for hard core new music.
                          I'd love to hear Ken Walton's exact definition of "hard core contemporary music".

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                            I'd love to hear Ken Walton's exact definition of "hard core contemporary music".
                            Didn't he used to do the wrestling on ITV in the 60s?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Didn't he used to do the wrestling on ITV in the 60s?
                              No dying falls in hard contemporary music for him, then.

Comment

Working...
                              X