X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Fazil Say's "Nazim"

At a concert a few months ago I was much struck by an encore played by the Atrium Quartet, a movement from Fazil Say's Quartet No 1 "Divorce" which so obviously depicted an argument even before we knew the title of the work (sadly the work doesn't appear to have been recorded yet). Nazim Say is a Turkish composer and pianist, b.1970.

I was delighted therefore to discover a CD of Say's "Nazim" in a local charity shop. It appears to be a big work with soloists and orchestra and a narrator. Sadly, I haven't any clue at all what it's about: every word in the booklet is in Turkish! Google has so far produced nothing useful: can anyone here help?

Otherwise I might have to sign up for Turkish evening classes and I don't suppose they run many in Cornwall...!
    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 05-06-12, 21:53. Reason: Correcting Mr say's first name - DOH!
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

This gives a short extract with English subtitles:

The Wiki entry might be of interest to other Forumistas, especially in connection with his upcoming trial:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      ...a movement from Nazim Say's Quartet No 1 "Divorce"... Nazim Say is a Turkish composer and pianist, b.1970.

I was delighted therefore to discover a CD of Say's "Nazim"...
      Did you get a bit confused? His name's Fazil not Nazim isn't it? Is Nazim the title of the piece?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Did you get a bit confused? His name's Fazil not Nazim isn't it? Is Nazim the title of the piece?
        <dohicon> - yes Caliban, now corrected in OP.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

fhg: thanks very much for the Youtube link. It looks from the related Fazil Say Youtube 'numbers' rather as if the full Nazim might be reassembleable track by track - the whole work on CD lasts about 60mins and is made up of 16 tracks lasting from one minute up to seven minutes plus. I can identify several of the tracks by title there on Youtube, though I haven't yet had time to play them all online but at least I now have some idea of what the work is about.

On one listening to the CD I'd kinda assumed that it must be something like a retelling of a key Turkish folk-story or slice of history. Seems like it's more existentially advanced than that, and it's very sad to see on Wiki that such 'advanced' thinking can still get you into deep sh*t with the religious authorities in Turkey - and apparently with the state courts too

Comment

Working...
          X