Severine Connections; NMS, Sat 17/8/19; 10:15pm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Severine Connections; NMS, Sat 17/8/19; 10:15pm.

The Head of Witty Titles must be on their Summer holidays this week, as the best anyone can think up for this week's chop suey programme is 17/08/2019.

Anyroadup - Kate Molleson in charge of the mishmash, with bits from new CD releases, and bobs from a Music We'd Like to Hear recital given by keyboardist Zubin Kanga.

Zubin Kanga (b1979) plays his own Transformations II,
    Simon Løffler(b1981)'s September '08,
    and Alexander Schubert(b1978)'s Piano-Wiki.net.

Composer/'cellist Severine Ballon (b1980) plays Newton Armstrong(b1969)'s A line alongside itself and her own work Cloches fendues I & II.

The BBCNOW conducted by B Tommy Anderson plays Helena Tulve(b1972)'s Being Mountain I Remain Silent

... and the bibadiboo is composer Neil Luck sharing his "Sound of the Week".

Kate Molleson presents new music from Music We'd Like To Hear and Zubin Kanga.
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 15-08-19, 11:01.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    The Head of Witty Titles must be on their Summer holidays this week, as the best anyone can think up for this week's chop suey programme is 17/08/2019.
    All they need do is ring me up.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      All they need do is ring me up.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Is the pair of Severine Ballon contributions all we get from the Music We'd Like to Hear concert? What about the rest of it? I attended and when I asked JL if it would be OK. to record it he advised that as Radio 3 were recording it, it might not go down well for me to also do so on this occasion. I have previously been told that Radio 3 does not record music it does not intend to broadcast (something previous experience has taught me not to be strictly true). Hopefully, more of the concert will appear in future broadcasts. Michael Parsons's early electronic work was of particular interest, (a Rado 3 commission, no less) I thought.

I would add that in general, I find this magazine format "New Music Show" a poor substitute of Hear and Now and other previous Saturday night new music coverage on Radio 3.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Is the pair of Severine Ballon contributions all we get from the Music We'd Like to Hear concert? What about the rest of it? I attended and when I asked JL if it would be OK. to record it he advised that as Radio 3 were recording it, it might not go down well for me to also do so on this occasion. I have previously been told that Radio 3 does not record music it does not intend to broadcast (something previous experience has taught me not to be strictly true). Hopefully, more of the concert will appear in future broadcasts. Michael Parsons's early electronic work was of particular interest, (a Rado 3 commission, no less) I thought.

I would add that in general, I find this magazine format "New Music Show" a poor substitute of Hear and Now and other previous Saturday night new music coverage on Radio 3.
          And so do I.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            And so do I.
            And so do I - the format is exactly what the music doesn't need.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

If the programme had been a supplement to the older H&N format - an extra programme, rather than a replacement (after all, the schedules aren't over-burdened with this Music) - then I could cope with its scattergun approach; and would grit my teeth through the presenter-focussed format. I'd been calling for such an additional programme for years - so I suppose it's my fault.

As it is, the breaking up of concert programmes and the focus on entirely British-based performances (both unpleasant features of the later years of H&N - having to wait months to get all the works featured in and recorded at the same HCMF event, for example) and the terror of any in-depth discussion of the Music - well, yes, a poor substitute for what used to be, and a very poor one for what could have been had there been real enthusiasm, commitment, and imagination in charge of the programme.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

When I first saw the title of this thread I misread it, by adding an extra n, and thought it had something to do with the river Severn.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

If the programme had been a supplement to the older H&N format - an extra programme, rather than a replacement (after all, the schedules aren't over-burdened with this Music) - then I could cope with its scattergun approach; and would grit my teeth through the presenter-focussed format. I'd been calling for such an additional programme for years - so I suppose it's my fault.

As it is, the breaking up of concert programmes and the focus on entirely British-based performances (both unpleasant features of the later years of H&N - having to wait months to get all the works featured in and recorded at the same HCMF event, for example) and the terror of any in-depth discussion of the Music - well, yes, a poor substitute for what used to be, and a very poor one for what could have been had there been real enthusiasm, commitment, and imagination in charge of the programme.
                  Bring back active enthusiasts like Robert Worby and Sarah Walker. Active, as in composing and/or performing such music themselves.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

If the programme had been a supplement to the older H&N format - an extra programme, rather than a replacement (after all, the schedules aren't over-burdened with this Music) - then I could cope with its scattergun approach
                    Yes. The assumption seems to be that people interested in this music have the attention span of a fly, whereas in fact one of the reasons they're interested in it is that the music itself doesn't make that assumption. The format does a disservice to both the music and the listeners.

Comment

Working...
                    X