• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Richard Barrett: Close-Up; H&N, Sat 5/5/18: 10:00pm

For many of us, one we've been waiting for. Robert Worby introduces the performance given by Ensemble Studio6 in Oxford in March (IIRC, complete with enthusiastic applause form Mr & Mrs teamsaint at the end). I try to ration my use of the word "unmissable" on the Forum, but it's unavoidable in this case.

Robert Worby presents Richard Barrett's new piece Close-Up, performed by Ensemble Studio6.

The remaining time filled by a review of recent recordings of New Music that they're too wet to include on Record Release.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

The Oxford performance was, IIRC, the one on the tour that Richard was most satisfied with, so its broadcast will be particularly welcome, but for anyone who was unable to attend (say, because they were on holiday) and who would like to see the Musicians at work, the video of the Leeds performance is, I believe, still available online:

Watch University of Leeds - School of Music's Concert Series: close-up: Ensemble Studio6 with Richard Barrett on Livestream.com. Karolina Bäter (recorders) Richard Barrett (electronics) Vladimir Blagojević (accordion) Nenad Marković (trumpets) Milana Zarić (harp) Close-up is the result of a close collaboration between Richard Barrett and the Serbian Ensemble Studio6 which began in April 2013. Each of its six parts explores a different angle on the relationship between pre-composed and spontaneous musical actions, whilst the electronic part explores a range of degrees of flexibility from fixed media to a completely “instrumental” approach. While not being in any way programmatic or illustrative, many aspects of close-up derive from a contemplation of natural and biological phenomena, and in particular of the ephemeral interventions into the natural world embodied in the sculptures of Andy Goldsworthy, conceiving musical materials as something analogous to the leaves, icicles, thorns and stones which Goldsworthy selects from the natural environment and then returns to it in such a way that the viewer sees them differently from that point on. Ensemble Studio 6 gathers internationally acclaimed soloists and performers of contemporary composed and improvised music. The ensemble encourages an open dialogue between listening, interpretation and creation in contemporary artistic practices.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The Oxford performance was, IIRC, the one on the tour that Richard was most satisfied with, so its broadcast will be particularly welcome, but for anyone who was unable to attend (say, because they were on holiday) and who would like to see the Musicians at work, the video of the Leeds performance is, I believe, still available online:

https://livestream.com/uol/events/8038731
      Also worth taking in since the improvisatory aspect of the work means you will hear something musically different from the Oxford and London performances.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

The Oxford performance was, IIRC, the one on the tour that Richard was most satisfied with
        Also it ought to be a better recording. (I haven't actually heard it yet though.) By the way, for those within striking distance there's an interesting-looking concert happening at 6 this evening in the Clothworkers' Hall in Leeds, with music by faculty members Mic Spencer and Scott McLaughlin, plus present and past PhD students (but not me this time). This will be live-streamed and watchagainable as well.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Is anyone going to record the RB H&N?

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

For many of us, one we've been waiting for. Robert Worby introduces the performance given by Ensemble Studio6 in Oxford in March (IIRC, complete with enthusiastic applause form Mr & Mrs teamsaint at the end). I try to ration my use of the word "unmissable" on the Forum, but it's unavoidable in this case.

Robert Worby presents Richard Barrett's new piece Close-Up, performed by Ensemble Studio6.

The remaining time filled by a review of recent recordings of New Music that they're too wet to include on Record Release.

Anyway, it certainly was a discerning crowd in that night.

RB did an interview, so hopefully that will get aired also.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Is anyone going to record the RB H&N?
              Oh, I doubt it. Why would anyone bother?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Oh, I doubt it. Why would anyone bother?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Well, if anyone does, maybe they can let me know, I haven't received one myself yet, and where I am I'm dependent on streaming...

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Time for a night out methinks!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

What do you think of my Robert Worby mask?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        What do you think of my Robert Worby mask?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1tg01
                        You should get a bit of string, though - it doesn't look as good if you have to hold it in place.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

You should get a bit of string, though - it doesn't look as good if you have to hold it in place.
                          Duly noted.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Well, wasn't that great?! Very colourful, subtle and delicately mysterious. I found it interesting how the overall structure affects the perception of the component pieces... e.g. I found how I was listening to 'pauk', the third piece and a duet, was very much affected by the opening duet, 'tendril' (I still have the notes from the concert itself). Very imaginative and fresh sounding, I find it quite captures a walk through some woods, in a relaxing and trippy way observing things on a variety of different scales and in a variety of different ways.

P.S. Why you'd think it was pronounced 'cloze-up' is beyond me.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              Well, wasn't that great?! Very colourful, subtle and delicately mysterious. I found it interesting how the overall structure affects the perception of the component pieces... e.g. I found how I was listening to 'pauk', the third piece and a duet, was very much affected by the opening duet, 'tendril' (I still have the notes from the concert itself). Very imaginative and fresh sounding, I find it quite captures a walk through some woods, in a relaxing and trippy way observing things on a variety of different scales and in a variety of different ways.
                              Thanks Joseph, but - given that you were at the live performance too - did you feel that what you heard on the radio was balanced in a similar way? because, listening to the broadcast, I found the electronic sounds pushed far into the background and the recorder into the foreground, almost as if the recording engineer hadn't been listening to the balance in the control room, let alone taking seriously my explicit directions beforehand that all instruments including the electronics should function as equals throughout. For me the recording was a great disappointment, especially as the performance was so beautifully concentrated (as was the audience!). It would have been so easy to get this right... well, I hope we have another chance sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                              X