• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Open Ear: H&N, Sat, 24/2/18; 10:00pm

After the desperately disspiriting past couple of weeks, tomorrow night's Hear & Now promises to be much more optimistic. Presented by Sara Mohr-Pietsch, it's a recording of a concert recorded last month in LSO St Luke's, given jointly by trio Alexander's Annexe (Sarah Nicholls - always worth hearing - Mira Calix and David Sheppard), percussion quartet Abstruckt (Elsa Bradley, Ana Gasco Gomez, Joe Richards & Emma Arden), Istanbul-based composer-performer, Ipek Gorgun, and performer/composer Laura Cannell.

In addition to works and improvisations by the performers themselves, there's also Wally (NOT "Walley" as on the H&N website) Gunn's Vicious Children, and Elliot (NOT "Eliot" as on the H&N website) Cole's 3 Postludes.

(Laura Cannell appeared on H&N a couple of weeks ago on the "What's Your Favourite Spoon" feature, where she chose the sound of a barking deer:

http://www.lauracannell.co.uk/ )
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Great stuff and some interesting people, well worth a listen
    Dave Sheppard knows how to put a string quartet into four helicopters and send the sound into a concert hall without developing dangerously high blood preassure

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

That's more like it! May be the regional centres we have heard from don't have enough interested people in the locality to achieve a crystallisation point.

Laura Cannell - experimental Medieval Music. That's a new one on me, but very interesting.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
        That's more like it!

May be the regional centres we have heard from don't have enough interested people in the locality to achieve a crystallisation point.
        I'm not sure Scotland or Wales would thank you for describing them as "regional centre" - I think it's more to do with the fact that those programmes were committed to orchestral Music, (with all the limitations on rehearsal time etc that that entails) and to composers keen to maintain a more traditional approach to writing for orchestra. I'm sure there could be programmes full of "Experimental" Music from Swansea, Aberdeen, etc etc.

Laura Cannell - experimental Medieval Music. That's a new one on me, but very interesting.
        Very pleasant stuff - gentle and haunting; but a bit ... short (her chat with SM-P lasted longer than the two works in total). Not sure how the ideas in the works might be expanded to a longer span (and I felt that the Music would have benefited from such elaboration) - but certainly an Artist whose work I want to hear again.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X