• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Eliane Radigue & Lee Gamble; H&N, Sat 30/9/17; 10:00pm

I wasn't over-impressed with the pieces by Lee Gamble that were programmed on H&N a couple of weeks ago, so it'll be good to get a wider "view" of his work: soloists from the London Contemporary Orchestra perform his Karstics in a concert recorded in the cavern of the Heights of Abraham in the Peak District. (Forget the Beatles - this really is a cavern!)

Also on the programme (presented by Tom McKinney) are four works by Eliane Radigue (b1932), one of the most impressive Musicians working today. From the same cavern concert (which was curated by Shiva Feshareki), three of her Occam Ocean pieces are performed by violinist Angharad Davies and Double Bassist Dominic Lash, and the programme ends with one of Radigue's most famous works Mila's Journey Inspired by a Dream.

New music by Lee Gamble and Eliane Radigue, performed in a cave in Derbyshire.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks again ferney. On the Jazz Bored I've drawn attention to the participation of two of our young jazz musicians in the Radigue piece.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      jazz musicians
      Stretching the definition somewhat, surely... I have a lot of time for Radigue's electronic pieces (and a lot of time is what's needed!) but I don't know her instrumental music at all, though much of it involves people whose other work I admire (like these, and of course Angharad's brother).

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Stretching the definition somewhat, surely... I have a lot of time for Radigue's electronic pieces (and a lot of time is what's needed!) but I don't know her instrumental music at all, though much of it involves people whose other work I admire (like these, and of course Angharad's brother).
        Looking forward to hearing this
        I was going to go but decided that my cold wouldn't take it
        so you are spared the sneezing on the recording

Not sure how it will work on radio though as her long form music does require much time (as you say)

(Rhodri is doing an interesting thing at HCMF this year)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Much of this seemed to be based on long held tones, hardly varied, and I thought, La Monte Young: one can only make that kind of statement once, and make it for all time.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Much of this seemed to be based on long held tones, hardly varied, and I thought, La Monte Young: one can only make that kind of statement once, and make it for all time.
            I think (or rather I HEAR) a huge difference in the music of Radigue, Young, Palestine et al

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Not sure how it will work on radio though as her long form music does require much time (as you say)
              I imagine that much of the cavern acoustic vanished over the airwaves, but listening in the dark was a remarkably effective for me.

I, too, thought of La Monte Young at first, but as the pieces went on, I realized that there was a lot more going on within the sustained sounds than I'd ever noticed in LMY's work (which, it occurs to me now, I haven't heard in decades: I need to (re)acquaint myself with that pretty sharpish). I wasn't attracted by the spoken parts of Mila's Journey - but then I find this in most Musical works involving extended spoken material (Persephone excepted). I kept wishing they'd let me pay more attention to the underlying Music. But I'll listen again and see if I get any connections between the instrumental and spoken Musics.

A very good H&N, I thought - and with the bonus that I much enjoyed the Lee Gamble pieces, too: far more interesting to me than those played a couple of weeks back.
              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-10-17, 14:16. Reason: Too "much" of a "muchness"!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I did hear some of this in the car last night, and went back to "look" up what it was all about on the listen again/iPlayer thing.

Well - that brings the number of participants to the H&N thread to more than 3 now!

Not sure what to make of it really. Wasn't thrilling in the car - very dull, but perhaps on decent kit the ambience of the caves will enhance the effects.
                That does seem to be the case - might try headphones later.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  I did hear some of this in the car last night, and went back to "look" up what it was all about on the listen again/iPlayer thing. Well - that brings the number of participants to the H&N thread to more than 3 now!
                  - yes, thank you for that: not many Threads can increase their "clientele" by 33% in a single post!

Not sure what to make of it really. Wasn't thrilling in the car - very dull, but perhaps on decent kit the ambience of the caves will enhance the effects.
                  That does seem to be the case - might try headphones later.
                  Yes - it isn't "dynamic" Music, but the results from concentrating on the sounds as they occur (in darkness, with, as you suggest headphones to block out unwanted external sound) I find intensely satisfying.

Much more fun than Black Lake!

Comment

Working...
                  X