• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Witten & Huddersfield: H&N, Sat 22/7/17; 10:00pm

Annoyingly little information from the Beeb about what's going to be broadcast from the 2017 Witten New Music Days, beyond the general hint that two works by Nicolaus Huber (b 1939) are "included", one for Ensemble Modern, the other for the Ardittis - unless it's a single work, a sort-of Concerto Grosso for S4tet and Ensemble?

More details for the works celebrating the forthcoming 40th Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival in November. Former H&N producer, Andrew Kurowski introduces recordings of works by composer who are/were regularly featured at the Festival:

Brian Ferneyhough (b 1943): Carcere d'Invenzione III; ASKO Ensemble
    James Dillon (b 1950): Dillug Kefitsah; Noriko Kawai (piano)
    Jonathan Harvey (1939 - 2012): Bhakti (sections I & II); London Sinfonietta/Sound Intermedia

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Always good to hear a piece of Dillon for the first time, and Ferneyhough's Carcere, if only one of them! And I thought I had Harvey's Bhakti somewhere, but I now see I am confusing that with his chamber piece The Riot.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

I last saw Jonathan Harvey at Huddersfield a few years ago
      Such a brilliant man and wonderful composer

Thanks for reminding me of this

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        I last saw Jonathan Harvey at Huddersfield a few years ago
        Such a brilliant man and wonderful composer

Thanks for reminding me of this
        Yes - I was there for his last appearance at the Festival, when the Ardittis performed his last S4tet. He came on at the end to conthankulate the performers, looking very frail and needing a walking stick for support.

Very different from the vigorous man I'd seen at Music Nova in Glasgow in 1981. I treasure the memory of watching him and Milton Babbitt deep in conversation as they walked across one of the parks to get to the venue - Harvey, tall and slender, leaning towards the short and stocky Babbitt.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Yes - I was there for his last appearance at the Festival, when the Ardittis performed his last S4tet. He came on at the end to conthankulate the performers, looking very frail and needing a walking stick for support.

Very different from the vigorous man I'd seen at Music Nova in Glasgow in 1981. I treasure the memory of watching him and Milton Babbitt deep in conversation as they walked across one of the parks to get to the venue - Harvey, tall and slender, leaning towards the short and stocky Babbitt.
          One of my big regrets is not doing the Phd with Jonathan Harvey
          Everytime I encountered him I was more impressed and inspired and it was always at the back of my mind
          but, sadly, some things aren't meant to be

I did manage to have several wonderful conversations with him

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            One of my big regrets is not doing the Phd with Jonathan Harvey
            Everytime I encountered him I was more impressed and inspired and it was always at the back of my mind
            but, sadly, some things aren't meant to be

I did manage to have several wonderful conversations with him
            I have some lovely interviews from broadcasts from his home on cassette.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I have some lovely interviews from broadcasts from his home on cassette.

Comment

Working...
              X