• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Techtonics II; H&N, Sat 27/5/17; 10:00pm

Following last week's remarkably good programme, this week's H&N features more Music from last month's Techtonics Festival in Glasgow.

The Music of Linda Catlin Smith (b1957) features again, with three of her works performed: Ricercare from 2015 for solo Baroque 'cello, played by Alison McGillivray; Morandi (1991) played by piano & percussion quartet Yarn/Wire; and the orchestral piece Adagietto (2014), played by the BBCSSO conducted by Festival Director, Ilan Volkov. The Festival has been particularly valuable in giving Smith's Music the greater profile it so deserves: I had known of her only marginally until I bought the anothertimbre CD last November. The five works in these programmes from Techtonics are filling out a picture of an individual and involving Musical imagination.

Also featured tomorrow are ever-captivating duo Parkinson/Saunders (playing anything other than "conventional" music-making instruments) performing Songs 2011 by Tim Parkinson (b1973); Lori Goldston(b1963)'s That Sunrise for 'cello & orchestra, performed by the Composer with Ilan and his band; Shiori Usui's From Scratch for vocalist and orchestra, also with the composer as soloist; and an Improvisation from trio Tim Hodgkinson (Clarinet & guitar), vocalist Shelley Hirsch, and Paul May (drums).

And it all kicks off at Ten o'clock

Music from Tectonics Festival Glasgow: Lori Goldston, Linda Catlin Smith and Shiori Usui.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

And it all kicks off at Ten o'clock

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rfy1w

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

That fist piece ended just when I thought it was getting interesting!

Great pot songs!

Did I hear that correctly? Did Kate Molleson introduce Lori Goldston's composition (playing now 10.46pm) as "That Sunrise"? I ask because in the Radio Times It is listed as "That Sunset". Who's right, Kate, RT or did I hear wrong?

Whatever it's called, it's excellent music. It has certainly lifted the quality level of tonight's programme.

Right, I did hear it correctly. At its conclusion, Robert Worby called it "That Sunrise". The Radio Times is a joke. They name as "That Sunset". How stupid can it get!?

That piece for percussion etc by Linda Catlin Smith Morandi Yarn/Wire (?), I really enjoyed. Anyone know of a recording?
      Last edited by Beef Oven!; 27-05-17, 23:22.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Did I hear that correctly? Did Kate Molleson introduce Lori Goldston's composition (playing now 10.46pm) as "That Sunrise"? I ask because in the Radio Times It is listed as "That Sunset". Who's right, Kate, RT or did I hear wrong?

Whatever it's called, it's excellent music. It has certainly lifted the quality level of tonight's programme.

Right, I did hear it correctly. At its conclusion, Robert Worby called it "That Sunrise". The Radio Times is a joke. They name as "That Sunset". How stupid can it get!?
        It was also referred to as That Sunrise in the OP - this sub-Forum is in careful hands, and I'm both cheaper and less expensive than RT.

That piece for percussion etc by Linda Catlin Smith Morandi Yarn/Wire (?), I really enjoyed. Anyone know of a recording?
        The piece is called Morandi; it was played by piano and percussion Quartet Yarn/Wire:

You can download an MP3 recording of the work performed by Arraymusic from the composer's Soundcloud page:

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

It was also referred to as That Sunrise in the OP - this sub-Forum is in careful hands, and I'm both cheaper and less expensive than RT.

The piece is called Morandi; it was played by piano and percussion Quartet Yarn/Wire:

You can download an MP3 recording of the work performed by Arraymusic from the composer's Soundcloud page:

http://mp3.lyricuz.com/download/3089...mith-2-morandi
          Thanks ferney - much appreciated. You are indeed a safe pair of hands.

It was actually impossible to follow the program with the RT - good that you're on hand to clarify.

Enjoyed the program. The LCS works were very strong, as was that excellent cello composition by Lori Goldston.

The final improvisation was marvelous - especially the vocals & clarinet. The clarinet seems to be doing well with contemporary composers (e.g. tonight, Barrett, Saunders, Cassidy, Aherghis, Morishita, et al).

I look forward to next week's programme.

With no TV, I'll be listening in much more to R3. So far I would vouch for five programmes:

EMS
          H&N
          Late Junction
          BaL
          TtN

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

I forgot to mention that I thought that what Tim Hodgkinson (?) had to say about improvisation was terribly interesting. The presenter was very rude to him, I thought.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I forgot to mention that I thought that what Tim Hodgkinson (?) had to say about improvisation was terribly interesting. The presenter was very rude to him, I thought.
              I must listen to this programme. You realise that Tim Hodgkinson is the same as the one who was in Henry Cow, of course!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I must listen to this programme. You realise that Tim Hodgkinson is the same as the one who was in Henry Cow, of course!
                No! I had no idea!

Very interesting. I knew those guys I used to follow when I was a teenager were the real deal!

Well, it makes up for Karl Jenkins

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

I knew those guys I used to follow when I was a teenager were the real deal!
                  Tim is a really interesting thinker and talker on music and much else (as are Fred Frith and Chris Cutler indeed, to name the other HC ex-members I'm personally acquainted with). Have you heard any of his compositions? If not check this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq85c6-psH0

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

No! I had no idea!

Very interesting. I knew those guys I used to follow when I was a teenager were the real deal!

Well, it makes up for Karl Jenkins
                    Yes, the other Welsh windbag.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                      Tim is a really interesting thinker and talker on music and much else (as are Fred Frith and Chris Cutler indeed, to name the other HC ex-members I'm personally acquainted with). Have you heard any of his compositions? If not check this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq85c6-psH0
                      No I haven't heard any of his stuff. I've got 'Black Death and Errors in Construction' on as I type and it's right up my street. Will give it a proper listen.

I need to listen to more up to date music. I've enjoyed the last two H&N's, but most of the stuff that I listen to isn't much beyond 2VS. I really enjoy that 'Caerulean' CD that was released recently that includes your Flechtwerk, but other than those few exceptions, I haven't moved beyond Lachenmann, Rihm et al.

EDIT: On reflection, I'm being a little hard on myself. I do listen to a fair bit of contemporary stuff and go to gigs. But I do tend to retreat to my comfort zone of Boulez, Messiaen, Stockhausen, Ligeti, 2VS, Varèse and the like.
                      Last edited by Beef Oven!; 28-05-17, 16:10.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Yes - in a sort-of "dreamy-aggressive" manner, like a mugger by on Temazepam. The mutual hostility was palpable - it was like they'd been married for fifteen years.

(She has "form" for rudeness, though - 'twas she who so comatosely dissed the TASCHI Quartet for the End of Time a few weeks back.)
                        I didn't think Tim was rude. I thought he dealt assertively with the stupid questions he was being asked. I'd have lamped him, Tim was constrained.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I didn't think Tim was rude. I thought he dealt assertively with the stupid questions he was being asked. I'd have lamped him, Tim was constrained.
                          Ignore me - I got my interviews muddled and was thinking that Kate Molleson had interviewed TH (Honestly - if I get any worse, they'll offer me a job with Radio Times!)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Ignore me - I got my interviews muddled and was thinking that Kate Molleson had interviewed TH (Honestly - if I get any worse, they'll offer me a job with Radio Times!)

Comment

Working...
                            X