• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Overcome with Emulsion

H&N on Saturday, 11th March, 2017, is devoted to works performed at Emulsion V, a celebration of new Improvisatory Music, founded, instigated and curated by composer/saxophonist Trish Clowes (b1984). The works in the broadcast were recorded at the Festival on 27th January, and the Festival itself was presented by Fiona Talkington - and selections from the whole Festival have already been broadcast on Late Junction and Jazz Now, but for H&N, Clowes is in discussion with Sara Mohr-Pietsche.

Jazz saxophonist Trish Clowes talks to Sara Mohr-Pietsch about her Emulsion V project.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

That sounds like it could be interesting! I see one of the pieces is by the wonderfully named Percy Pursglove. I hope he's also playing in the ensemble because IMO he's the most interesting improvising trumpet player in the UK. Not sure about this though: "Also tonight, American saxophonist Colin Stetson's re-imagining of Gorecki's classic Symphony No 3." When I "re-imagine" that piece I put it from my mind as quickly as possible and move on to something less depressing. Or is "re-imagining" just a hipster word for "arrangement"?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Not sure about this though: "Also tonight, American saxophonist Colin Stetson's re-imagining of Gorecki's classic Symphony No 3." When I re-imagine that piece I put it from my mind as quickly as possible and move on to something less depressing.
      Yes - I deleted a comment to the effect that it wouldn't take very much extra "imagining" to improve it. But it's another recording from last year's HCMF, so I thought I should be more loyal!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Thanks for also drawing this programme to the attention of the usual suspects on the Jazz Bored, ferney.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Yes - I deleted a comment to the effect that it wouldn't take very much extra "imagining" to improve it. But it's another recording from last year's HCMF, so I thought I should be more loyal!
          Were Colin to be wearing a different hat, it might be more interesting!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Were Colin to be wearing a different hat, it might be more interesting!
            Oh I don't know, a country & western version of Górecki might be just the ticket. Re-imagine that!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              Oh I don't know, a country & western version of Górecki might be just the ticket. Re-imagine that!
              Especially for those with... catholic tastes!

Comment

Working...
              X