• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Rich Mix - H&N, Sat 18/2/17; 10:00pm

Interesting-looking bits and bobs from Huddersfield and Café OTO in tomorrow night's programme.

Ensemble Plus/Minus (whose programmes are always worth hearing) play two works by Cassandra Miller (b in Canada in 1976, currently living near Ted Hughes' birth town, not too far from Huddersfield) recorded at a KammerKlang concert at Café OTO on the 7th of this month: Tracery/Hardiner, and Traveller Song. Cross-checking the Café Oyo and BBC sites, I'm not sure if both works feature the ensemble, with Juliet Fraser the singer in one or both the pieces, or if one of the works is for solo, unaccompanied soprano. (The composer's own website only includes work up to the end of last year.) From the same concert, a "solo set" by the fascinating American sound artist, Christine Sun Kim (b 1980), and "new Music" by Australian composer Lisa Illean. (The inverted commas are meant to question neither the newness nor the Musicality of the work, but are there simply because that's all the information I could discover about them.)

And, from the HCMF last November:
    Enno Poppe (b 1969 - just! [birthday 230th Dec]): Haar, for unaccompanied violin, played by Hannag Weirich;
    Michael Beil (b 1969): String Jack, for solo 'cello and electronics, played by Dirk Weitheger;
    Marcin Stanczyk (b 1977): Some Drops for trumpet & ensemble; Marcus Blaauw (trumpet), Ensemble Musikfabrik.

For the last work, the composer provided the following Programme Note:

Some make their journeys alone.
    Others get together as couples or in small gatherings.
    They connect and they divide.
    This may seem unpredictable.
    But you can guess which paths they will take.
    In the end, most of them follow their forebears.
    It's gravity, apparently.

And, from Georg Friederich Haas ... oh! Nothing listed on the H&N website!

Must be an oversight.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for heads-up, ferney. No intelligent observations as yet - perhaps never!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
      Thanks for heads-up, ferney. No intelligent observations as yet - perhaps never!
      Above my pay grade, Oddball!

Comment

• Beresford
        • Apr 2012

I found the pieces from the Huddersfield opening night serious and fun at the same time - I laughed at the same time as the audience in the Beil cello piece, at the musical references to Rostropovitch and Andre Rieu. And Musikfabrik were very sensitive players - I had for some silly reason expected them to be too bold and pushy for me - maybe it was their publicity photo that misled.
        I hope this observation is intelligent enough...

Comment

Working...
        X