• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Beat Furrer: FAMA; H&N, Sat 11/2/17; 10:00pm

One I've been looking forward to since the end of November. Sadly, not the performance of FAMA that I attended at the Huddersfield Festival, but the "dress rehearsal" for that performance, given in London a few days earlier. Same great performers (the London Sinfonietta on their best form in many a long year, EXAUDI, Contrabass Flute played by Eva Furrer [the composer's sister], and actress Isabelle Munke, conducted by the Composer) same superb work - Furrer's best piece, I think.

Very much less impressive, I thought, is Furrer's Intorno al Bianco which starts the programme - a Clarinet Quintet, played by members of Furrer's "own" ensemble, Klangforum Wien; a recording from last year's HCMF (the first concert in the Festival that I attended last year). Finishing the programme, yet another work by Georg Friederich HAAS from Huddersfield; his aus freier Lust...verbunden ..; Angelos Kritikos leads his colleagues from the Hanover Trombone Unit.

Tom Service presents recent UK premieres of music by Austrian composer Beat Furrer.

SPOILER: a couple of complete performances of FAMA are available on youTube - and this excerpt from the very opening, recorded at the US premiere in 2013. We here in the UK had to wait more than another three years Worth it, though - if the London performance was anything nearly as good as the Huddersfield event!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Ooh! And look at this (also on youTube) - Furrer gives an interview introducing FAMA in English on the Russian equivalent of The One Show!!! (I have dreams like this!)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X