• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

H&N, Sat 20/8/16; 10:00pm: Technonics, Tilbury, Oliveros and others

The Witten programme last week was very good - and still available for another three weeks on the i-Player - but I think I might find tomorrow night's programme to be even more provoking and involving.

John TILBURY and Sebastian LEXER perform an improvization for Piano Duet with electronics
    Jon ROSE performs his Palimpolin for solo violin

... and Music from the Sami (a people from Northern Scandanavia/Lapland) Joik tradition is performed by Andé SOMBY. (Joiks are Highly spiritual songs ... [they] may have few or no lyrics, do not rhyme, and have no definite structure. They are typically about any subject of importance to the singer, and vary widely in content. In Northern areas each person often has their own joik, sometimes given to them at birth, which is seen as personal to and representative of them, like a name. - WIKI)

The programme also includes a discussion about the relationship between composer Pauline Oliveros and trombonist Stuart Dempster.

John Tilbury is always worth hearing, and Pauline Oliveros' work is so rarely broadcast that the snippets offered in the discussion seem like a positive feast! (With luck, there'll be a performance of a full work - at the very least, it might encourage listeners unfamiliar with her outstanding work to explore further.)

Further information:

The Jon Rose Web, biography, CV, violin, improvisation, composition, inventor, multi-media artist, instrument builder, writer
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Fascinating info on joiks. I wonder why not on R3's World Music - the kind of thing it should surely cover?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Fascinating info on joiks. I wonder why not on R3's World Music - the kind of thing it should surely cover?
      I think it's being included in this broadcast because it was part of the Techtonics concert in which the other works were performed (and we know that R3 never breaks up concerts into individual pieces ). Otherwise, yes - it is exactly the sort of thing that I would hope to hear included in the World Music broadcasts.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Well, apart from fg's pertinent comment, since Jazz on 3 has featured John Tilbury performing Samuel Beckett monologues in the past, why not have a bit of Sami culture on Hear and Now?

Comment

Working...
        X