• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Cage: "Indeterminacy"; H&N, Sat, 25/6/16, 10:00pm

After a trio of rather tepid editions of Hear & Now, the programme turns to more substantial fare with a recording made at the rather wonderful Cafe Oto in London of a realization of Cage's talk/recital Indeterminacy, performed by Musicians Steve Beresford and Tania Chen with Cage's verbal texts delivered by Stewart Lee.

Stewart Lee, Tania Chen and Steve Beresford perform John Cage's Indeterminacy.

Lee himself described his involvement in the piece when he was first involved nearly four years ago:

In 1959, John Cage released an album on the Folkways label called Indeterminacy. As ever with Cage, the idea was deceptively self-explanatory and simple. He read out a series of stories about a whole bunch of stuff, from high to low subject matter, while his longtime collaborator David Tudor played improvised passages on piano in […]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Oops! David Tudor "improvised". Oh no he didn't. He played Cage's Solo for Piano (the piano part of Concert for Piano and Orchestra) and extract from a tape of Fontana Mix.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Oops! David Tudor "improvised". Oh no he didn't. He played Cage's Solo for Piano (the piano part of Concert for Piano and Orchestra) and extract from a tape of Fontana Mix.
      - I wondered about the frequent use of this term in both articles, given (IIRC) Cage's dislike of the term.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

After a trio of rather tepid editions of Hear & Now, the programme turns to more substantial fare with a recording made at the rather wonderful Cafe Oto in London of a realization of Cage's talk/recital Indeterminacy, performed by Musicians Steve Beresford and Tania Chen with Cage's verbal texts delivered by Stewart Lee.
        ......mmmmmm - mainly of historical interest? Musical content was I felt rather simplistic, at least in this broadcast version.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
          ......mmmmmm - mainly of historical interest? Musical content was I felt rather simplistic, at least in this broadcast version.
          Not one of Cage's best Musical pieces, I agree, Oddy - I wondered if better extracts from his output could have been chosen - but my attention was held throughout, and I enjoyed it very much. A bit more than "mainly historical" - I started thinking how I'd do it if I were ever involved in such a project - and a damn sight more inspiring than anything since the Moondog/Babbitt programme.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

- I wondered if better extracts from his output could have been chosen -
            It even crossed my uncharitable mind to wonder if those chosen could have been "better" performed - the preceding talk led me to expect a greater prominence from the Musicians than just the often "background" noises to Stewart Lee's rather splendid presentation of the word texts. But the three performers have worked on the piece for over four years now, so they've honed it to how they want it to come across. Maybe the BBC sound balance was weighted towards the spoken element too much?

Or maybe this is how it should be heard, and I just haven't "twigged" yet?!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Not one of Cage's best Musical pieces, I agree, Oddy - I wondered if better extracts from his output could have been chosen - but my attention was held throughout, and I enjoyed it very much. A bit more than "mainly historical" - I started thinking how I'd do it if I were ever involved in such a project - and a damn sight more inspiring than anything since the Moondog/Babbitt programme.
              I knew the lecture via its inclusion in Silence (2nd paperback edition of 1967) long before I ever heard the LPs of Cage and Tudor. I think Stewart Lee made a fine fist of the 45 stories he read. I have admired Tania Chen's playing since first hearing her play in duets with John Tilbury way back in the mists of time. I'm a bit miffed though that having been one of many who fell off the Cafe OTO mailing list (despite being a paid up digital member) I was not aware of the concert in time to attend.
              Last edited by Bryn; 27-06-16, 22:47. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

It even crossed my uncharitable mind to wonder if those chosen could have been "better" performed - the preceding talk led me to expect a greater prominence from the Musicians than just the often "background" noises to Stewart Lee's rather splendid presentation of the word texts. But the three performers have worked on the piece for over four years now, so they've honed it to how they want it to come across. Maybe the BBC sound balance was weighted towards the spoken element too much?

Or maybe this is how it should be heard, and I just haven't "twigged" yet?!
                Cage first performed the lecture in Brussels in 1958 (at that time it consisted of just 30 stories) without musical accompaniment. Only later, in Italy, did he perform the lecture along with David Tudor playing extract from Concert for Piano and Orchestra.

I must email Tania to check whether, where and when they will be performing it again.
                Last edited by Bryn; 27-06-16, 22:47. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

I grew up with the Cage/Tudor recording. I think I learned a lot from it about balance and form. I haven't yet listened in to the H&N broadcast but I've seen a video of Lee, Beresford and Chen performing it. Does anyone happen to know what the two instrumentalists are playing? They looked as if they were improvising freely, which would seem a bit unCagean. If that matters. Also, while I'm a strong admirer of Stewart Lee, I'm not sure having him read the texts was such a great idea.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    I grew up with the Cage/Tudor recording. I think I learned a lot from it about balance and form. I haven't yet listened in to the H&N broadcast but I've seen a video of Lee, Beresford and Chen performing it. Does anyone happen to know what the two instrumentalists are playing? They looked as if they were improvising freely, which would seem a bit unCagean. If that matters. Also, while I'm a strong admirer of Stewart Lee, I'm not sure having him read the texts was such a great idea.
                    Stewart Lee has made a point of not listening to the Cage and Tudor recording. He plans to do so only when he stops performing it himself. I salute him for that.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Stewart Lee has made a point of not listening to the Cage and Tudor recording. He plans to do so only when he stops performing it himself. I salute him for that.
                      Quite right too. But do you know what Steve & Tania are playing?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        Quite right too. But do you know what Steve & Tania are playing?
                        Not sure. I was not listening that intently to Robert Worby's introduction and interviews with them. I will have another listen to check if it was mentioned.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

O.k., I have now listened to the relevant section of the interview. Tania and Steve improvise, but Tania describes is as a constrained improvisation. Her description reminded me of what Eddie Prevost wrote about AMM's playing of Treatise '84 in the booklet notes for the Combine+Laminates+Treatise '84 CD, which I feel sure you have, even if you can't immediately recall what Eddie wrote. The liner notes use to be available online, but it looks like they have been taken down,

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

O.k., I have now listened to the relevant section of the interview. Tania and Steve improvise, but Tania describes is as a constrained improvisation.
                            Yes, the relevant pre-performance conversation lasts about 12 minutes and starts at 57mins into the programme - Ms Chen's description is around the 1hr point.

I was interested to hear Stewart Lee's comments about being concerned about how the number of performances they have performed since 2010 might have had a negative impact on the indetermined aspect of the work; that he was becoming concerned that there was a danger that he was becoming familiar with "what was coming next". I wonder if this was also having an effect on the performance we heard broadcast - that the edges had been smoothed off? That a recording from, say, three years ago might have been more involving for the listener? (The altered performing set-up, too, exacerbating this - rather than the narrator and Musician(s) being unable to hear each other as in the Cage/Tudor performances, here they have been in the same room for all their performances) Or perhaps it's just simply a case that if Cage's own works had been used as source material for the two Musicians, rather than their own "sort-of/not quite" improvisations?

Because it is what the duo did that gave me least interest - Stewart Lee was not only a fine deliverer of the texts (chosen by the duo partly because he "doesn't sound like John Cage"), he also had the most interesting and insightful things to say about the piece in the pre-performance talk.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                              Multiple apologies - I was listening to the wrong Cage composition!

Comment

Working...
                              X