• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

ALERT: Sunday 22 May (today) 5.00 The Listening Service

The RT blurb says:

'When is noise just noise, and when is it music? Is it just sound in the wrong place? Tom Service finds that, though we resent noises in the concert hall, music needs some noise in it to give it character. He also investigates the contemporary genre 'noise music' and considers noise in our daily lives. With contributions from Emily Cockayne, author of Hubbub: Filth, Noise and Stench in England 1600-1770, and to David Hendy, author of Noise: a Human History".

Any takers?

My definition would be that while some people say "That is music to my ears", noise is music only when it is intended to be.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for this
    Sounds interesting and an area that has been much discussed in recent years.

for example

From Luigi Russolo to My Bloody Valentine, author Paul Hegarty de-constructs the art of noise

Rob Worby did a series a while back for R3 called (I think?) "Cacophony Now"

I BELIEVE THAT THE USE OF NOISE

Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating. The sound of a truck at 50 m.p.h. Static between the stations. Rain. We want to capture and control these sounds, to use them, not as sound effeets, but as musical instruments. Every film studio has a library of »sound effects» recorded on film. With a film phonograph it is now possible to control the amplitude and frequeney of any one of these sounds and to give to it rhythms within or beyond the reach of anyone's imagination. Given four film phonographs, we can compose and perform a quartet for explosive motor, wind, heart beat, and landslide.

TO MAKE MUSIC
    What John said

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      The RT blurb says:

'When is noise just noise, and when is it music? Is it just sound in the wrong place? Tom Service finds that, though we resent noises in the concert hall, music needs some noise in it to give it character. He also investigates the contemporary genre 'noise music' and considers noise in our daily lives. With contributions from Emily Cockayne, author of Hubbub: Filth, Noise and Stench in England 1600-1770, and to David Hendy, author of Noise: a Human History".

Any takers?

My definition would be that while some people say "That is music to my ears", noise is music only when it is intended to be.
      Thanks for the alert. I shall definitely be tuning in at 5.00pm

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Thanks for this
        Sounds interesting and an area that has been much discussed in recent years.

for example

From Luigi Russolo to My Bloody Valentine, author Paul Hegarty de-constructs the art of noise

Rob Worby did a series a while back for R3 called (I think?) "Cacophony Now"

What John said
        Thanks

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Dawn chorus and Mount Etna. Is this music, or noise?

Mount Etna, Europe's highest active volcano, rumbles at daybreak on the southern Italian island of Sicily with a new eruption.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

The "noise is just sound in the wrong place" reminds me of the horticulturalist's definition of weeds as being plants in the wrong place.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Dawn chorus and Mount Etna. Is this music, or noise?
              Yes.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                The "noise is just sound in the wrong place" reminds me of the horticulturalist's definition of weeds as being plants in the wrong place.
                Another definition of a weed - "a very successful plant!"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Very interesting programme, though as a "world in a grain of sound" type of person I do find the idea of self-engulfment in loud noise disturbing, even masochistic. Isn't this what the USAF inflicted on the Viet Cong?

Comment

Working...
                  X