• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Sounds of Shakespeare: H&N 23/4/16

Sara Mohr-Pietsch and Tom Service introduce adventurous 21st century responses to Shakespeare's work. Sound artist Martin Parker and viola da gamba player Liam Byrne take music and texts from 1616 and remix them for 2016. Saxophonist Trish Clowes and her trio improvise an anniversary homage using Shakespearean phrases. Plus contemporary music group Apartment House and a newly commissioned work from Matthew Herbert based on texts from Macbeth. Recorded in front of an audience earlier the same day at Shakespeare's former school, King Edward VI School in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Some names not very familiar to me, but I always find Apartment House's work provokes passionate response - in all sorts of directions! And an opportunity for anyone unconvinced by the idea of works in a modern idiom written for ancient instruments to have their preconceptions overturned.

Looking forward to this - potentially the highlight of the Weekend mini-Fest for me.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Sara Mohr-Pietsch and Tom Service introduce adventurous 21st century responses to Shakespeare's work. Sound artist Martin Parker and viola da gamba player Liam Byrne take music and texts from 1616 and remix them for 2016. Saxophonist Trish Clowes and her trio improvise an anniversary homage using Shakespearean phrases. Plus contemporary music group Apartment House and a newly commissioned work from Matthew Herbert based on texts from Macbeth. Recorded in front of an audience earlier the same day at Shakespeare's former school, King Edward VI School in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Some names not very familiar to me, but I always find Apartment House's work provokes passionate response - in all sorts of directions! And an opportunity for anyone unconvinced by the idea of works in a modern idiom written for ancient instruments to have their preconceptions overturned.

Looking forward to this - potentially the highlight of the Weekend mini-Fest for me.

Can't exactly say I am ferney. Knowing Trish Clowes, I wonder what she makes of "her trio improvise an anniversary homage using Shakespearean phrases".

Comment

Working...
    X