X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Niccolò Castiglioni (1932-96)

A friend brought this to my attention today: Castiglioni's six-minute Concerto for Orchestra from 1963:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... which reminded me that I hadn't thought about this highly interesting composer for many years. Here is the better-known Inverno in-ver from 1973:

... which I got to know well when it was relatively new, having recorded it from Radio 3. Again the music is highly distinctive in style and shape and expressive identity (and mostly high in pitch!). Anyway I just thought there might be some people here who would appreciate the reminder, since Castiglioni's music seems to have disappeared from view somewhat.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for drawing attention to Castiglioni, Richard.

The first time I heard anything by him was on a R3 Music In Our Time programme around 1970 which we had recorded on reel-to-reel: mostly wonderful string quartet pieces by Bussotti, Berio (ah yes, the wonderful Sincronie), Clementi, and this solo oboe piece called Alea I think, performed by Heinz Holliger.

With the exception of Berio, Radio 3 has hardly spent any time on the postwar italian avant-garde since then; which is a shame because very little of their music could be described as "difficult listening", and Castiglioni and co would make a fascinating point of entry into much post-serial music for otherwise skeptics in the same way Ligeti can.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

I seem to remember Knussen programming Inverno in-ver at the Proms a few years back - good piece, I thought, haven't heard it since; will give it and the Concerto a listen - many thanks!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Thanks for drawing attention to Castiglioni, Richard.

With the exception of Berio, Radio 3 has hardly spent any time on the postwar italian avant-garde since then["around 1970]
        This can't be true, S_A: I have lots of stuff from 1980-2005 (-ish) on cassette ("Things Time forgot"). The late David Osmond Smith frequently introduced works by Nono, Donatoni, Sciarrino, Scelsi as well as the composers you mention. I'm fairly sure I've got Inverno in-ver in a drawer somewhere. And some HCMF recordings of Romitelli and Pierluigi Billone.

But I haven't heard any of Castiglione's Music for far too long a time - as Richard says, it's dropped from the radar (mine at any rate). Unjustly - these are engaging and original pieces. There's more on Youtube, which this prompts me to seek out.

; which is a shame because very little of their music could be described as "difficult listening", and Castiglioni and co would make a fascinating point of entry into much post-serial music for otherwise skeptics in the same way Ligeti can.[/QUOTE]
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

This can't be true, S_A: I have lots of stuff from 1980-2005 (-ish) on cassette ("Things Time forgot"). The late David Osmond Smith frequently introduced works by Nono, Donatoni, Sciarrino, Scelsi as well as the composers you mention. I'm fairly sure I've got Inverno in-ver in a drawer somewhere. And some HCMF recordings of Romitelli and Pierluigi Billone.

But I haven't heard any of Castiglione's Music for far too long a time - as Richard says, it's dropped from the radar (mine at any rate). Unjustly - these are engaging and original pieces. There's more on Youtube, which this prompts me to seek out.
          Must have been when I was "otherwise engaged" then, ferney!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

There are quite a number of CDs available in the Naxos library.

Must take a listen later.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
            X