• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

5-hour piano marathon on TTN

Did anyone hear any (or all) of this?

The Well-Tuned Piano by La Monte Young is an epic piano solo lasting for five hours. It's a classic of American Minimalism, composed in 1964 (though Young considers it to be still a work in progress). Max Reinhardt introduces this recording, in which the composer performs on a specially-tuned piano.
    La Monte Young is one of the first minimalist composers, along with Terry Riley, Philip Glass and Steve Reich. He is especially known for his development of drone music. He started out as a jazz musician, but then studied composition with Stockhausen in Germany, and also electronic and classical Indian music in the USA. He considers the Well-Tuned Piano to be his masterpiece.

"My personal experience with The Well-Tuned Piano was one of ... heightened concentration...the flow of momentum marshaled the vibrations of air in the room, slowly making the ear aware of sounds that weren't actually being played....I thought I heard foghorns, the roar of machinery, wood blocks, a didgeridoo, and most powerfully, the low, low vibration of the 18-cycles-per-minute E-flat that the ear supplied as the "missing fundamental" of the piano's overtones."
    - Kyle Gann, The Village Voice (1987),.

A recording of The Well-Tuned Piano by La Monte Young, a piano solo lasting for five hours

Well, I managed about three five-minute dips into it. As for the 'specially tuned piano', it was certainly unusual. I would have liked a 'how' or a 'why', and I certainly didn't hear any foghorns or didgeriddos. Maybe if you listen long enough you begin to hallucinate. I wonder if Kyle Gann (who he?) meant 18 cycles per second? I defy anyone to hear a musical note which would be the equivalent of someone kicking a bucket once every 7 seconds.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 04-01-16, 01:01.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Only the very end of the programme which, as is mentioned elsewhere, consisted of a sequence of fragments of La Monte Young-associated musics. I slept through the rest with TTN on at very low volume, as is usual for me; but I certainly experienced some very interesting dreams!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

It's a wonderful piece, I didn't stay up for this BUT have listened to all of it several times.
      Kyle writes a really interesting blog, worth reading.

La Monte Young is a tota genius IMV the HCMF gig last year was one of the best concerts I have been to.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Did anyone hear any (or all) of this?
        No, but had I been arr. an impromptu New Year meditational retreat...

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I wonder if Kyle Gann (who he?) meant 18 cycles per second? I defy anyone to hear a musical note which would be the equivalent of someone kicking a bucket once every 7 seconds.
        Quite, although I must admit to having purchased his Justonic real-time tuning software, which, last time I checked is no longer compatible with my platform(s).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Rightly or wrongly, the question is going to be asked: "Do I have 5 hours of my time to spend/waste on this?" The answer may be "yes", but is more likely to be "no".

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Rightly or wrongly, the question is going to be asked: "Do I have 5 hours of my time to spend/waste on this?" The answer may be "yes", but is more likely to be "no".
            How many hours have you "spent/wasted" on one piece by Strauss?
            Your loss

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Steve Martland's Principia popped up on Breakfast this morning. I always smile when I hear it. And it suits my attention span.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                That was always my attitude to Staff Meetings/INSET days/Introduction days/Report Writing/Parents' Evenings ("We've just come to see how Darren's getting on" "Rather as I described it in his flippin' Report") .... I finally decided that "He always handed his Effort & Achievement Grades to his Line Manager on Time" wasn't exactly the most impressive thing to have on my gravestone!

Five hours isn't long, after all - there are operas that last longer (and adding the time it takes to get to/from the venue ... )
                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 04-01-16, 16:26. Reason: Missing Punctuation added
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  How many hours have you "spent/wasted" on one piece by Strauss?
                  Your loss
                  But I can have a break after 48 minutes (unless it's Maazel's 70-odd minute rendering) with a clear conscience.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I have recorded it. But having now listened to Hymnen twice in the past few days, I think the Well-Tuned Piano can wait a while.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      That was always my attitude to Staff Meetings/INSET days/Introduction days/Report Writing/Parents Evening ("We've just come to see how Darren's getting on" "Rather as I described it in his flippin' Report") .... I finally decided that "He always handed his Effort & Achievement Grades to his Line Manager on Time" wasn't exactly the most impressive thing to have on my gravestone!

. )
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I have recorded it. But having now listened to Hymnen twice in the past few days, I think the Well-Tuned Piano can wait a while.
                        If you wait too long, it'll go out of tune.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          If you wait too long, it'll go out of tune.
                          Hay there!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Hay there!

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

So, thanks to ardcarp's initial post, I have managed to source and listen to (thrice, under differing circumstances) the original CDs of this huge work.

I'm afraid I have been left disappointed by the whole experience(s).

Yes, the pure or "just" temperament used is fascinating in itself, and is akin to a cold splash of water in the face, but beyond that I have spent many hours feeling very bored indeed. The whole thing sounds - counter-intuitively - (and with works such as the 2 Feldman quartets and any number of pieces by Cage in mind) - hugely self-indulgent: something I have never experienced when listening to the aforementioned Cage and Feldman, despite the sometimes enormous lengths of some of the latter's works. Young's work, for me, just noodles on and on, without intention, nor non-intention...
                              Last edited by Tapiola; 10-01-16, 22:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X