• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

RIP Wlodzimierz Kotonski-1925-2014

News has just come in of the death of the Polish composer and teacher, Włodzimierz Kotoński.  He was 89.  Along with Jan Krenz (b.1926) and Bogusław Schaeffer (b.1929), Kotoński was the last major …
  • Richard Barrett

Nobody seems to be taking any notice of this thread so here's my two cents' worth, even though I don't much like this "RIP" business, I mean there isn't much alternative once you're dead I would have thought... anyway, yes: Kotoński was a really very interesting composer, hardly ever mentioned in the same breath as some of his more famous colleagues in the new Polish music of the postwar period, even though his work is often at least as engaging as any of theirs'. I first came across it in a broadcast in the 1970s (when you could hear this kind of thing on Radio 3 far more often etc. etc. etc.) of the orchestral piece Róża wiatrów (Wind-Rose), which I remember as a colourful and turbulent piece that I used to return to quite often. I know very little of his other work though. I wonder if anyone else here has some further comments and/or recommendations.

Comment

• amateur51

There are three recordings available of Kotonski's music, according to the Presto Classics website but only one offers albeit a brief extract to listen to ...

Bits And Pieces. Caprice: CAP21471. Buy download online. Lars-Gunnar Bodin (electronics), Ake Parmerud (electronics), Christian Bock (electronics), Wlodzimierz Kotonski (electronics), Jonas Soderberg (electronics), Tamas Ungvary (electronics), Peter Lunden (electronics), Anders Blomqvist (electronics), Ricardo Mandolini (electronics), Ragnar Grippe...

Comment

Working...
      X