X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Peter Hurford R.I.P.

Peter Hurford O.B.E., who recorded what remains for many the definitive recording of the complete organ works of J S Bach, has died on this day aged 88.

His book 'Making Music on the Organ' got the emphasis right. He recalled that playing as a student on the old console high up in the bowels of the Father Willis at Truro Cathedral had given him an experience that he wanted to pursue as a career. Many years later, standing outside the locked door of New College Chapel, I listened to him record volume three (I think it was, including the 'St Anne' P&F) of his traversal of the JSB organ works for Argo, marvelling at the sheer rightness and communicative quality of his playing. It is shameful that Decca had not re-released the complete set for decades before his death (the high prices on Amazon had reflected its significance), but thankfully this has now been corrected, vide infra. His lecture the following year in New College chapel on the Orgelbüchlein was a model of insight and clarity, and I treasure the notes I took from that talk, which reside still in my Novello vol. XV. His recordings from Ratzeburg Cathedral were always models of their kind, where the player can avail him or herself of schnapps from a small drinks drawer that opens by drawing the Raushwerk stop! The St Albans International Organ Festival founded by Dr Hurford in 1963, including the competition's Peter Hurford Bach Prize, is a fitting memorial.

A great musician, a very fine organist, and a devoted servant of music in the church.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by Keraulophone; 06-03-19, 02:03. Reason: Tidying up auto-correct
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

That is very sad news - though he was older than I had realised.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

By an eerie coincidence I ordered the complete Bach organ works just yesterday evening https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074KWLD..._TE_item_image

At this price it should be snapped up without delay. I only saw Hurford once, at the organ of the Royal Festival Hall in 1980, but his Saturday evening series of the Bach on R3 at about the same time was a must listen for me.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        By an eerie coincidence I ordered the complete Bach organ works just yesterday evening https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074KWLD..._TE_item_image

At this price it should be snapped up without delay. I only saw Hurford once, at the organ of the Royal Festival Hall in 1980, but his Saturday evening series of the Bach on R3 at about the same time was a must listen for me.
        Very sad news - organ music is not really my thing but he was a legendary organist and two of his organ recordings of Bach on EMI Eminence and an organ favourite record are the only ones I own . I was sorry to read that he appears to have been suffering from Alzheimers for many years.

Comment

• sidneyfox
          Banned
          • Jan 2016

This is sad news.

Comment

• jonfan
            • Dec 2010

Very sad. RIP. His Bach is the Desert Island choice for me.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

I spotted it on the Bargains thread and was tempted (I have Lionel Rogg's recordings) but this news prompted me to succumb.
              Peter Hurford RIP

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Very sad news indeed. Although I'm not really an organ buff I appreciated that he was a master of the instrument.

Mind you, I did get a telling off from him one day when, after a recording session, I and some colleagues were having a laugh only to be asked by Dr. Hurford if we would mind taking our merriment elsewhere as he had to rehearse on the church's organ! Suitably chastised, we left him to his work.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I spotted it on the Bargains thread and was tempted (I have Lionel Rogg's recordings) but this news prompted me to succumb.
                  Peter Hurford RIP
                  Same here,which means I will now have 4 sets (Preston,Alain and the Hanssler box),thanks Pet.

RIP Peter Hurford
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    That is very sad news - though he was older than I had realised.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

RIP Peter Hurford

Just heard that the organist Peter Hurford has passed away. Having had Alzemer’s for the past ten years.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nevilevelis

A great loss. I was and am still a huge fan of his organ works; the Suite 'Laudate Dominum' especially.

Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of AmericaLaudate Dominum: VI. Exurgat deus · Keith JohnTrans Europe Experience℗ 2016 Willowhayne RecordsReleased on: 2016-03-04...

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSuite 'Laudate Dominum': Meditation · David Humphreys · Peter HurfordSounds From St Albans℗ 2007 LammasReleased...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Oh gosh. Another great musician gone. He was, IMO, one of the very best players of Bach's organ music, always choosing excellent instruments to fulfil his recording project. One should not forget his excellence as a choir trainer. He used to bring his St Albans choristers to sing in Somerset, his own home territory, during the summer hols..He was no mean composer. His little piece for treble voices, Litany to the Holy Spirit is poignant and beautiful.. RIP Peter.

An excerpt from a BBC TV programme called “Advent Hope”, recorded in Lichfield Cathedral and broadcast on 29 November 1998. With the choristers of Lichfield ...
                            Last edited by ardcarp; 03-03-19, 23:14.

Comment

• Wolsey
                              • Nov 2010

[...]I only saw Hurford once, at the organ of the Royal Festival Hall in 1980, but his Saturday evening series of the Bach on R3 at about the same time was a must listen for me.
                              That will have been either on 6 February (in the latter part of the 1979/80 series) or 19 November (towards the start of the 1980/81 series); I was his page-turner on both occasions. I'll repeat here what I posted a little earlier on Facebook, that I am devastated to hear of his death. I have such happy memories of my two years of lessons with him during my second and final years at Cambridge, and I remain eternally grateful for the way he opened my ears and eyes to the playing of JS Bach (and others). He strove to ensure that musical line was at the heart of his students’ organ-playing - and, indeed, music-making in all its forms. I shall take down his boxed set of Bach Organ Works from the CD shelf (there's also the Franck, Hindemith and a more recent Bach recording), and relive his art. RIP Peter. Your influence on my musical development was immeasurable.

Comment

Working...
                              X