• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Southwell Minster 18th December 2013

CE Southwell Minster

Order of Service:

Introit: The Secret of Christ (Richard Shephard)
    Responses: Nigel Allcoat
    Office Hymn: The Lord will come and not be slow (St Stephen)
    Psalms: 93, 94 (Macfarren; SS Wesley)
    First Lesson: Exodus 3: 1-6
    Advent Antiphon: O Adonaï
    Canticles: SS Wesley in E
    Second Lesson: Acts 7: 20-36
    Anthem: A Song of Peace (Stanford) and Pray that Jerusalem (Stanford)
    Hymn: O come, O come, Emmanuel (Veni Emmanuel arr. Roger Bryan)

Organ Voluntary: Overture to 'St Paul' (Mendelssohn)

Simon Hogan (Assistant Director of Music)
    Paul Hale (Rector Chori)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Good, no-nonsense singing, and, sadly unusual, lots for the trebles to do, which they should feel showed them off to good effect.
    Not entirely convinced by the Allcoat responses - seemed a bit unnecessarily meandering to my ears, not easy to sing either. The odd tentative entry maybe?
    Stanford was very well-managed and well-delivered, a huge credit to the lads, particularly the senior ones, who sang with confidence and purpose.

Liked the O Come, O come Emmanuel arrangement by Roger Bryan.

All in all, a most satisfactying service, rounded off with some nice Mendelssohn.

Comment

• W.Kearns
      • Dec 2010

In his pamphlet, 'A Few Words on Cathedral Music with a Plan of Reform', Samuel Sebastian Wesley dismisses plainsong as 'the unisonous chants of a period of absolute barbarism.' What he would have made of Southwell's decision to frame his Magnificat with the chanted advent antiphon makes for entertaining conjecture.

It was a truly delightful service. Thanks.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

In his pamphlet, 'A Few Words on Cathedral Music with a Plan of Reform', Samuel Sebastian Wesley dismisses plainsong as 'the unisonous chants of a period of absolute barbarism.'
        ...which reflects the entrenched anti-Catholicism of the times (notwithstanding his Dad's having 'defected to Rome').

S.S. Wesley in E isn't one of my favourite canticle settings, and it was maybe a brave choice especially in view of the 'exposed' nature of the Nunc. But I join with Draco and WK in thanking Southwell for a good CE. The Allcoat responses were something of a tour de force. I thought the Our Father was going to turn into Ubi Caritas at one point!

Comment

• chrisjstanley
          • Dec 2010

Listening on i-player this morning.

As my alma mater, it was encouraging to hear the choir in such fine voice, even though from the repertoire of my days at Southwell only the psalms and hymn were familiar music to me. (and the 2nd Stanford anthem of course)

The 18th evening provides a marvellous contrast of joy (93) and malice (94). The pointing and choice of chants of the Ashfield Southwell Psalter respects this perfectly in my view and the interpretation, colour and contrast was expertly done by the choir and organ in harmony.

I started to warm to Wesley in E but not quite enough, although again the singing was superb and well-balanced in my opinion. Likewise the Stanford anthems.

Next year 2014 will be 25 years since Paul Hale took over from the late Kenneth Beard, and I'm sure that suitable celebrations will be organised to mark this anniversary and to thank Paul for all his efforts in maintaining the high standards of musical performance at this amazing place.

bws
          Chris S

Comment

• mw963
            • Feb 2012

I frequently find myself liking or not liking the fare that the experts on this forum don't like or like (if you see what I mean).

Wesley in E seems to have had more outings on CE in the 1990s than it does now; I sometimes think that the Mag was written in that somewhat "unremarkable" way precisely to highlight the "golden moment" on Abraham and his seed, but no doubt the experts here will dispute that.

Curiously enough the Mendelssohn had another outing at Southwell many years ago at the hands of Simon Bell. It's a terrific piece; my guess is I'd find any non-organ version rather an anticlimax......

Southwell has given us some sublime moments over the thirty years I've been listening to CE (*). This was no exception. Thank you.

(*) Including the moment in 1992 when I had to hurriedly find a layby and park up when I heard the Ashfield triple chant for the first time, such was the effect on me!

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I frequently find myself liking or not liking the fare that the experts on this forum don't like or like (if you see what I mean).
              Everone's opinion is valued and of equal importance!

Comment

• mopsus
                • Nov 2010

I once recorded all of Wesley's services in E. As is sometimes done, the Nunc in this service was gingered up a bit by using the Gloria from the Jubilate Deo, rather than the plainer one originally written for the Nunc.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  All in all, a most satisfactying service, rounded off with some nice Mendelssohn.
                  I agree. Very enjoyable. Loved the touch of 32' in the psalms. Best's transcription of the Mendelssohn was definitely the icing on the cake. I am not as a rule a fan of arrangements, but if I hadn't known this was one I would never have guessed and Simon Hogan's playing of it was absolutely magnificent.

Wesley in E really is a bit naff, isn't it? Mrs Humana was impressed with his chant, though - which was a noteworthy sit-up moment for me as she rarely comments on church music.
                  Last edited by Vox Humana; 23-12-13, 04:49.

Comment

• Philip
                    • Sep 2012

Its great for me to be able to call Southwell my 'home' cathedral - a fabulous building, and its always a pleasure to go and hear the choir. Paul Hale has certainly set standards which will be difficult to follow, yet the place still maintains that sense of being slightly off the beaten track, which is rather nice (although it was packed for their carol service tonight - and they'll be doing it all again tomorrow!). The Wesley isn't to my taste either, but setting that aside there was much to enjoy in this broadcast.

One of Paul Hale's legacies will also be the two organs, which must give great pleasure to the accompanist - a Quire organ where you can use plenty in accompaniment, the Nave organ with marvellous Tubas, and together the two more than fill the building (with clever electrics so you can play both from one console). Simon Hogan is a super player, and it is always a pleasure for me to hear him accompanying and playing repertoire. The digital 32 foot stops are very effective (and satisfying!).

I would certainly recommend a visit - and if you're planning to take in a service they put a whole term's music on their website so you can pick and choose your dates!

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Lovely service, a sort of unforced spirituality guided proceedings. Delighted to come across Jacqui Jones again whom I remember from Chelmsford. It sounded as if the participants believed what they were saying and singing and that makes a big difference in my book.

Comment

• mw963
                        • Feb 2012

I'd be interested to hear more details of what it is (musically or anything else) that makes Wesley in E "a bit naff".

I ask simply because I'd far rather have that than - say - anything by Leighton, whose music I (personally) find very unapproachable, and yet I know that you "experts" on here won't have a word said against him.

As I don't consider myself an expert I'd be interested to hear what it is that elevates Leighton to such heights of admiration and yet classes Wesley as a bit second division.....

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I'm a big Kenneth Leighton fan.....but it's nothing to do with 'being an expert'. I just like his stuff. If you want to get into it, mw, why not try the carol Lully Lulla, or Drop, drop slow tears (the last movement from Crucifixus pro Nobis). I'm not anti-Wesley either. The well known anthems including, Blessed be the G & F, The Wilderness, Wash me throughly, etc, etc are all fine examples of English church music from a slightly impoverished period. When the chips are down it's all down to one man's meat, etc, and it's nothing to do with expertise. Everyone's opinion on the forum is equally valid. If anyone's really interested as to why Wesley in E isn't my favourite set of canticles, well, IMO they ramble a bit, are harmonically hum-drum and don't seem to have a coherent key-structure.

Comment

• mw963
                            • Feb 2012

I think you've got a point (several points in fact) about Wesley but even so the overall effect is pleasant.

Which - at least from my point of view - is not the case with Leighton. I've heard him for 30 years, I've sung him, and I think his music is ugly and spoils any religious contemplation..... In fact one of his sets of canticles is known at home as the "Ambulance Siren" setting and is the signal to go and make tea in the kitchen - and at a leisurely pace in the hope they've finished by the time one returns.

But I know he is immensely popular. Just can't see it myself, and probably never will now.

But would be interested to know why others find him so irresistible....

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I've heard him for 30 years, I've sung him, and I think his music is ugly and spoils any religious contemplation..... In fact one of his sets of canticles is known at home as the "Ambulance Siren" setting
                              I think you may be a bit more of an 'expert' than you admit, mw!

Comment

Working...
                              X