Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolsey
    • Nov 2010

[Brief digression] As Matthew Martin has joined this particular thread, I hope he will forgive me for (probably) causing him to blush by congratulating him on winning the Liturgical Award at this year's British Composer Awards on Tuesday evening. Another contributor here, Gabriel Jackson, was shortlisted in the category; I hope he is taking a 'cyber-bow' for that achievement.

[As you were]

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by weston752 View Post
      [ Both Philip Ledger's and Stephen Cleobury's descants for well known Christmas hymns are inferior to those of David Willcocks.
      Not sure that's entirely true. There's plenty of room for all of course, but personally I much p
      refer the Ledger descants for 'Once in Royal' and 'Hark! the herald' to the Willcocks versions. And John Scott's for 'It came upon the midnight clear' in CfC5 takes a lot of beating.
      Andrew Carter's setting (with descant) of O come O come Emmanuel is fantastic.
      Last edited by ardcarp; 05-12-13, 16:27.

Comment

• Roger Judd
        • Apr 2012

For me, the prize goes to Christopher Robinson for his versions of O come, all ye ... and Hark! the herald. It's the 'blue' chords that do it for me, every time!
        RJ

Comment

• Wolsey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
          For me, the prize goes to Christopher Robinson for his versions of O come, all ye ... and Hark! the herald. It's the 'blue' chords that do it for me, every time!
          Hear, hear. CJR very kindly responded to my request and sent me a copy of the descant sometime ago, before it was recently published. Apart from our 'midnight mass' when we sing Willcocks' version, we sing CJR's at all our carol services.

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
            Another contributor here, Gabriel Jackson, was shortlisted in the [liturgical] category
            and he ought doubly to be congratulated for being shortlisted in two separate categories, liturgical (for Cantate Domino, written for Truro) and choral (Choral Symphony, written for BBCS).

Comment

• Matthew Martin

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
              [Brief digression] As Matthew Martin has joined this particular thread, I hope he will forgive me for (probably) causing him to blush by congratulating him on winning the Liturgical Award at this year's British Composer Awards on Tuesday evening. Another contributor here, Gabriel Jackson, was shortlisted in the category; I hope he is taking a 'cyber-bow' for that achievement.

[As you were]
              Thanks Wolsey - no need for that.. However, here's a link to the score if you're interested in seeing what the fuss was about!
              Bravo SJC.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by weston752 View Post
                ... but personally I much prefer the Ledger descants for 'Once in Royal' and 'Hark! the herald' to the Willcocks versions. And John Scott's for 'It came upon the midnight clear' in CfC5 takes a lot of beating.
                Agree about Ledger's Once in Royal descant - quite stunning. But I do wish Stephen Cleobury would stop thinking he can write descants. I see he's still trying for this year's 9LC. A great choir trainer but a rather feeble descant writer.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

And that Matthew Martin has a piece being sung at St T's NYC Fifth Avenue too. John Scott knowing talent when he sees it?

Comment

Working...
                  X