X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Yes, thanks from me too. The diction was good, and I liked the uniformity of vowel sounds from the trebles, esp. the 'e' sound as in the first of 'ever'. The Lloyd responses were enjoyable....it's quite an original setting of the Our Father.

Comment

• Philip
      • Sep 2012

I agree with the above comments - ample evidence here of a high standard of music-making at Canterbury. The Gray canticles are a fine setting and the anthem a classic - the closing minutes with the trumpet being especially memorable (and nice to see the trumpeter credited!). For my taste the hymn and especially the psalms were rather brisk - whether this is the 'norm' or was necessary to fit everything into the one hour slot I don't know. Overall, however, much to enjoy.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

and having the resources to cover all the bases
        I trust that wasn't a typo......

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

........................erm

Comment

• chitreb
            • Nov 2012

Some really beautiful singing from Canterbury. The Parry is not one of my favourite pieces and it may be lack of familiarity but I felt that at times there was a slight timing disconnect between the top line and the rest. I agree with Philip (#17) that the psalms were a tad fast but they were sung with great clarity and for the most part they didn't sound rushed. The Gray canticles did not particularly inspire me as a composition but I did appreciate the singing, particularly the solos. On the other hand I found the Vaughan Williams gorgeous and went back for another listen. A fine work that worked well in this version and with the Cathedral acoustic.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by chitreb View Post
              Some really beautiful singing from Canterbury. The Parry is not one of my favourite pieces and it may be lack of familiarity but I felt that at times there was a slight timing disconnect between the top line and the rest. I agree with Philip (#17) that the psalms were a tad fast but they were sung with great clarity and for the most part they didn't sound rushed. The Gray canticles did not particularly inspire me as a composition but I did appreciate the singing, particularly the solos. On the other hand I found the Vaughan Williams gorgeous and went back for another listen. A fine work that worked well in this version and with the Cathedral acoustic.
              The Gray are perhaps better to sing than hear? I've always loved doing them on a 'fish' Friday. It does help of course if the Basses know the difference between a 4th & a 5th. I do remember an occasion where for the whole first line Dec & Can were a tone apart...

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Many years ago I sang the treble solo in Ely Cathedral. I still get a frisson when I hear it...

Comment

Working...
                X